Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logitech Isn't Yet Fully Supporting Linux

Phoronix: Logitech Isn't Yet Fully Supporting Linux

While more computer peripheral companies are paying attention to Linux -- especially gaming device related manufacturers -- in the age of Linux-based Steam Machines and SteamOS, not all are completely on-board quite yet. Logitech has shown some signs of Linux interest and support in the past, but they aren't yet committing to providing Linux support for all of their products...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Logitech should make Linux software too

I do enjoy a Logitech MX 1000 mice, it is old, but is the CHEAPER computer component i have bought, about 60? but it was payed in Spanish pesetas, in ECU times, far before the ?

It stil works as wel as the first day, and except for battery indicator - no problem the mouse has a hardware one - I can use it as well in GNU than in MS WOS.

i only miss Logitech software, it is a great suite, and stores different profiles etc. I would not use it, but why a linux user has not that product? I suppose in a near future, if Steam OS succeeds And i hope so a lot, we will have Logitech drivers and software

Comment

Can someone tell me why in the windows world all of those little device utilities are closed source?

Are there such important trade secrets in how to change the color of some LEDs?

What would they actually lose if those drivers and utilities were fully open source?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        Can someone tell me why in the windows world all of those little device utilities are closed source?

Are there such important trade secrets in how to change the color of some LEDs?

What would they actually lose if those drivers and utilities were fully open source?
        Indeed.

Or why something like battery level monitoring is not a specified USB endpoint by now?

Why invest all that money in custom software development if this can just be delegated to the operating system?

Sometimes it seems that these primarily hardware vendors just like to waste money.

Cheers,
        _

Comment

Looks like the Roccat Tyon will be my next mouse.
          At least as long as they dont make the LR mouse buttons too sensitive.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            Maybe because of this .

Comment

While not officially supporting linux they guy responsible for the hid_logitech_dj was more than helpful on a bug. Yes they can improve but they are not horrid as other MFGs.

Roccat has this gaming aesthetic which spoils it for me.

Comment

I highly recommend the XG-1 LED from Xtrfy, the keyboard is mechanical (cherry red) and has a ton of macro and led functions built into it, and unlike every other such keyboard it doesn't rely on win software to program it, you program it on the keyboard directly, thus ensuring complete linux support. Also, no win-logo keys =)

EDIT: I suppose I could include url: http://xtrfy.com/product/xg1-r-led/

Comment

I don't know about the company (management), but the Linux engineer (Nestor) was certainly very helpful and even sent me some HID devices to play with.

Some documentation is already provided on Google Drive (see https://opensource.logitech.com/open...velopment_Kits). For those who do want to login with a Google account, a mirror of those documents can be located at https://lekensteyn.nl/files/logitech/, https://github.com/pwr/Solaar/tree/master/docs/logitech, etc.

David, feel free to contact me to look further into this. After finishing up examinations in two weeks, the holiday season starts :-)

Comment

Logitech are nuts...

Well, Logitech are nuts. Idea to use windows to do something and then use Linux sounds silly. Are they going to pay me windows license, or what? If we translate it to Logitech back, its like idea to use some input devices from other vendor to get Logitech device working (and once we already have input device, why we need Logitech at all?).

Why I'm not happy with Logitech? Okay, there is LX7 mouse. And it would work under Linux. Upon first connection receiver knows no mices, so it would pair with first one you use. Then it would work. But I managed to encounter trouble on my way. The issue is that my mouse somehow unpaired from receiver. Likely because I used it with another computer and another receiver. Now where stupid part comes. There is no way to pair that crap in forced manner under Linux. Technically their receiver seems to use protocol resembling Unifying receivers but while it generally understands some commands of Unifying receiver, it does not supports many of them and seems to be earlier/partial flavour of similar protocol. So there is no way to pair mouse back to it receiver. Older receivers had hardware button to do so, it has been convenient, fast and worked in OS-independent way. But newer receivers lack pairing button and LX7 is "new enough" to lack that button on receiver part. Yet it "old enough" to fail to fully understand unifying receiver protocol, so most of tools are half-working at very best. And never able to initiate pairing sequence to degree it would actually work. Needless to say, such Linux support from Logitech suxx. Maybe they should at least publish protocol details?

Comment

Working...
                    X