Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon X.Org 7.4.0 Driver Brings More Tiling, R300/R500 GLAMOR

Phoronix: Radeon X.Org 7.4.0 Driver Brings More Tiling, R300/R500 GLAMOR

A stable update to the xf86-video-ati "Radeon" X.Org driver was released on Wednesday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does R600 have tiling enabled by default?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      Does R600 have tiling enabled by default?
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

AFAIR R300/R500 has a dedicated 2D engine. Won't the switch to Glamor slow down things?

Comment

I would request some benchmarks on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat2 View Post
            AFAIR R300/R500 has a dedicated 2D engine. Won't the switch to Glamor slow down things?
            I can't be sure that glamor which is now part of xserver 1.16 remain fully compatibile with r300/r500 . Support for r300/r500 is added for glamor lib, but as i see there are raised requirements now for xserver glamor when compared with glamor lib (i don't think r300 works correctly even with glamor lib). So someone need to test is that even work in xserver 1.16 for these chips : rolleyes:

Comment

glamor is not enabled by default for any asics other than SI and newer. The changes mentioned for r3xx-r5xx just allow you to force glamor on via xorg.conf option for users that want to play with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat2 View Post
                Doesn't radeon default to EXA (running on the 3D engine) for 3xx-5xx these days anyways ?

My recollection was that XAA used the 2D engine quite a bit but EXA did not...
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  My recollection was that XAA used the 2D engine quite a bit but EXA did not...
                  XAA was more accelerated then EXA and fine these days but was not composition friendly, so we get EXA for replacement which is composite friendly but with more non accelerated paths (fallbacks) .

Yep i remember XAA being faster in gtkperf then EXA .

Comment

It's not that the 2D engine is faster or that XAA or EXA accelerates more stuff. 2D and 3D engines have different capabilities. 2D engines can can basically do 3 things:
                    1. blit (move rectangles from one place to another)
                    2. fill (draw a filled rectangle)
                    3. lines

2D engines can't do coordinate transforms (scaling or rotation), alpha-blending, etc. so those operations require the 3D engine.

Core X and render were deisgned prior to GPU acceleration so a lot of ops map really poorly to modern hardware. Even today, pure software rendering is still faster than hw in many cases.

XAA only attempted to accelerate core X rendering. Additionally offscreen image support broken probably 6 or 7 years ago, so XAA only accelerated on screen images which means that for the most part, XAA almost always uses software rendering. Additionally, XAA was generally only exposed on older asics that had limited 3D engines, no support for tiled buffers, etc. Software fallbacks were relatively cheap on those cards for onscreen stuff and all offscreen buffers were rendered with software to begin with.

EXA took the most commonly used core X operations (blits and fills) and added limited support for also accelerating render (coordinate transforms, alpha blending, etc.).

For EXA, we use the 2D engine for blits and fills if the hw has it. For everything else, we use the 3D engine.

glamor accelerates core X and render using OpenGL.

Comment

Working...
                    X