Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd 215 Works On Factory Reset, DHCPv4 Server Support

Phoronix: Systemd 215 Works On Factory Reset, DHCPv4 Server Support

Lennart Poettering announced the release of systemd 215 on Thursday afternoon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by atari314
    Stateless systems... Factory reset... Rootkits... DRMs... I bet RedHat and Canonical are loving the lyrics...
    If you hate them so much, use another distribution (I imagine you do already, but just in case...). Your pointless blather doesn't serve any purpose, or at least no obvious purpose, except to make you look like a troll. If you don't trust the code, have it audited...or audit it yourself, it's not exactly obfuscated.

I don't know where you're getting DRMs from, and I fail to see what's wrong with stateless systems or factory resets (after all, factory reset only means that you can restore your system to a predictable state, which would be much preferable to doing a full-blown reinstall: takes less time, and doesn't put as much wear on hard drives--an important factor if you're using SSD's).

Comment

Not even my CH Pedals work anymore, hence they should fix first bugs before adding new stuff to systemd/udev.-

Comment

Can someone please comment on what exactly the "Factory Reset" does?

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
          Can someone please comment on what exactly the "Factory Reset" does?
          Taken from the link in the article
          The short story is for allowing factory resets to be done on systemd Linux boxes by flushing out /etc and /var while just preserving the /usr directory while a stateless system is similar and nevers stores the two former directories within persistent storage. The reproducible and verifiable system features are along similar lines but with mandates about storing local configuration data, etc.

Comment

will it be possible to regain a state of package dependant but else software-identical installs like scripts with default settings and stuff? that would be awesome. funny thing is that for ubuntu i have 4 installs (2 of them on the same machine) which all behave differently despite the fact that they have all the same packages (the 2 on the same pc do differ too)
            the only difference is the time of installation. which can be 2-4 releases ago. would be nice to have them behave in the same way. (and fix the broken scripts and settings that now occurr when using alpha stages of releases)

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
              will it be possible to regain a state of package dependant but else software-identical installs like scripts with default settings and stuff? that would be awesome. funny thing is that for ubuntu i have 4 installs (2 of them on the same machine) which all behave differently despite the fact that they have all the same packages (the 2 on the same pc do differ too)
              the only difference is the time of installation. which can be 2-4 releases ago. would be nice to have them behave in the same way. (and fix the broken scripts and settings that now occurr when using alpha stages of releases)
              Yes, that is pretty much what factory-reset does: It removes all the modifications you ever did and gets you to the state your distribution of choice intended.

Note that this will not work with existing ubuntus (they do not use systemd), nor will it make sure that different versions of the distributions behave in the same way. Even the same distribution on different hardware may behave differently due to different drivers being used. Factory reset will just remove all modifications you ever did and let you start fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl Napf View Post
                Yes, that is pretty much what factory-reset does: It removes all the modifications you ever did and gets you to the state your distribution of choice intended.

Note that this will not work with existing ubuntus (they do not use systemd), nor will it make sure that different versions of the distributions behave in the same way. Even the same distribution on different hardware may behave differently due to different drivers being used. Factory reset will just remove all modifications you ever did and let you start fresh.
                Does it retain MY installation modifications (like fs layout) ? I mean this sounds like a useless feature. Why not just snapshot /etc after install and make user changes into the snapshot so you can revert back ? Restore points before upgrades/changes are more usefull since they are granular ... not all or nothing ....

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                  If you don't trust the code, have it audited...or audit it yourself, it's not exactly obfuscated.
                  It's not exactly simple either, given the sheer volume of code and the rate at which it changes. It's practically a full time job to audit the whole lot.

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
                    Does it retain MY installation modifications (like fs layout) ? I mean this sounds like a useless feature. Why not just snapshot /etc after install and make user changes into the snapshot so you can revert back ? Restore points before upgrades/changes are more usefull since they are granular ... not all or nothing ....
                    Because not every setup supports snapshots.

Comment

Working...
                    X