Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots Of New ARM Hardware To Be Supported By Linux 3.17

Phoronix: Lots Of New ARM Hardware To Be Supported By Linux 3.17

Several new ARM devices will be supported by the in-development Linux 3.17 kernel while some less-than-optimally-supported ARM hardware is also getting stripped from the mainline kernel tree...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, does Android ship a heavily customized kernel? I still have to see a _current_ arm tablet that doesn't use a _really_ old linux kernel (like 3.4).

Comment

Michael, just fix this:

- Allwinner A31 Hummingboard support. The Hummingbird A31 is a $70 development board...
      Hummingboard is a board from Solid-run, this run with Freescale i.MX6. The Allwinner processor board is Hummingbird.
      The Freescale already have support for i.mx6 on 3.16 kernel

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
        So, does Android ship a heavily customized kernel? I still have to see a _current_ arm tablet that doesn't use a _really_ old linux kernel (like 3.4).
        Android L is supposed to ship with Linux 3.10, although the preview images still use 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          yup.. some customizations from aosp kernel tree and then generally a whole steaming pile of SoC vendor stuff. From there, device manufactures branch off and pile on some more.. if you are lucky the they may have one branch for all or a group of devices, but they could also just have one branch per device.

Ever wonder why some devices don't get updates?

Comment

Hmm very interesting. Any idea what information can be supplied about the odroids?

Comment

When we talk here about support, we mean it will boot up and maybe some 2d x driver starts, if at all.

We are not talking about real support taht u can use taht hardware for everything desktopish without a android proprietary blob.

And even that is not even really true, so yes u can boot maybe a soc but as a tablet u most likely cant boot it because some issues with uefi or something.

u cant even use gnu/linux (non-android) on most intel baytrail systems even with intel hd grafics chips, not even to think of arm tablets that run gnu/linux. Its a horrific mess.

Comment

Working...
              X