Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau's Big Batch Of Changes Land In Linux 3.17

Phoronix: Nouveau's Big Batch Of Changes Land In Linux 3.17

Being merged into the mainline kernel code-base for Linux 3.17 was the big DRM feature pull that included enhancements to the Intel and AMD Radeon graphics drivers (among the other smaller DRM/KMS drivers), but missing from action was the open-source NVIDIA driver. The Nouveau driver changes were delayed by some last-minute bug-hunting but now a separate pull request was issued to land the Nouveau driver updates for Linux 3.17...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Man, that's fantastic. I assume an old mobile 8400GS can't change clocks? I have a laptop with this card but it's running at about half the maximum frequencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Vidar View Post
      Man, that's fantastic. I assume an old mobile 8400GS can't change clocks? I have a laptop with this card but it's running at about half the maximum frequencies.
      You probably have to downgrade to 3.12, before they removed the old 'alpha' version of re-clocking. YMMV, but it works great with the NV50 in my laptop...

Comment

Originally posted by Article
        A system and method for performing zero-bandwidth-clears reduces external memory accesses by a graphics processor when performing clears and subsequent read operations. A set of clear values is stored in the graphics processor. Each region of a color or z buffer may be configured using a zero-bandwidth-clear command to reference a clear value without writing the external memory. The clear value is provided to a requestor without accessing the external memory when a read access is performed.
        I can't believe they would get a patent on something like that... why again are C pointers not patented?

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
          I can't believe they would get a patent on something like that... why again are C pointers not patented?
          I read that but didn't get what it says, anyone care to explain in plain English?

Another topic from the article - what does it mean - Nouveau headless mode? From google: "This is to prevent nouveau from taking over the console on headless boards
          such as Tesla." Is it the only reason? And what is headless boards?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            And what is headless boards?
            GPU without video output ports:

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
              GPU without video output ports:
              The bricks out of which render farms are built, I presume.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                I read that but didn't get what it says, anyone care to explain in plain English?
                Nvidia patented a gatekeeper memory reads go through. He can either let them happen, or just tell directly "don't bother, it's all zero", which saves a lot of time for the caller. Yay for US patent system.

Comment

It's a patent from Nvidia, but i's used to make nvidia cards work better. I bet Nvidia won't be an ass as it's not used to make Radeon work better.

I'm a bit confused too, as you still have to manually compile the libtxc_dxtn by yourself because of patent and licensing shit.

Comment

pstate missing in 3.17

back in 3.16, to view my power state, I could:
                    $ cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pstate

and to reclock I could:
                    $ echo 0f> /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pstate

But pstate is missing from /sys in 3.17. What is the new system to reclock?

Comment

Working...
                    X