A New Program Exists To Translate x86 Machine Code Into LLVM Bitcode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Program Exists To Translate x86 Machine Code Into LLVM Bitcode

Phoronix: A New Program Exists To Translate x86 Machine Code Into LLVM Bitcode

McSema has been officially open-sourced as an advanced program for translating x86 machine code into LLVM bitcode...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: A New Program Exists To Translate x86 Machine Code Into LLVM Bitcode

McSema has been officially open-sourced as an advanced program for translating x86 machine code into LLVM bitcode...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc1OTQ
    Let's translate windows

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      McSema is the latest program trying to allow taking x86 binaries and turning them back into LLVM bitcode. When the program is back into an LLVM bitcode state, it's theoretically possible to then re-target the code to another architecture [...]
      Great, 64-bit acrobat, finally!

Comment

Re

I would not say that LLVM Bitecode is easier to read than ASM, it's almost the same when it comes to readability...

+oleid, Another architecture doesn't mean another platform...
        Most of the big software that is available only on Windows is because it uses Windows API. Something like using threads uses Windows specific calls, something like LLVM bitcode can't help here...

Comment

there is 32bit linux version of acroread :-)

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
            Great, 64-bit acrobat, finally!
            And eventually, steam games (once this tool is ported to Linux)
            I see something cool : you could "recompile" from bytecode for, let's say, ARM, any x86 game, even if you don't have the source.

Of course, this is not only useful for games, something like flashplayer (32-bits) could also benefit from a such tool. But games are, by far, the widest application I can think of now.

Comment

License

three-clause BSD license, ugh I hope they relicense it under the more modern two-clause BSD license.

Comment

As long as they don't run into code which reads its own code for integer values or indirect jump pointers; or jumps back into itself at misaligned offsets. Some malware and DRM coding does junk like that.

Comment

Working...
                X