Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Witcher 2 Should Now Be Offering Faster Performance

Phoronix: The Witcher 2 Should Now Be Offering Faster Performance

The Witcher 2 was released for Linux earlier this year but the quality of the initial Linux port was very troubling. Since then, the developers have been working to improve the Linux version of The Witcher 2 ahead of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The game is now finally a bit playable with my i5-4570 and 650 TI on high graphics at 1080p. But on my setup running Windows it would work at 30+ fps at Ultra graphics, so it's still not exactly optimal.

Comment

never will be

Originally posted by clementl View Post
      The game is now finally a bit playable with my i5-4570 and 650 TI on high graphics at 1080p. But on my setup running Windows it would work at 30+ fps at Ultra graphics, so it's still not exactly optimal.

never will be but at least we can play now

Comment

Still needs work. Lots of it.

Comment

So it sounds like we're slowly moving from The Witcher 2 port being a plane wreck to being a train wreck. Maybe I'll consider it playable if it ever moves up to being a car wreck.

I'll give this a shot when I get home today and see how it's improved. I've tried the beta before and performance was still awful with a 4960x and a GTX 780. Definitely feels laggy... but it sounds like this update may at least fix THAT problem.

Comment

As long as I know they're continuously working on it, I'll hold of playing it. I have it installed in Windows right now (it wouldn't even run for me in linux) but I haven't played it yet.

Comment

May be they can optionally use some of the new OpenGL 4.5 features to improve it further for hardware / drivers which support them.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
                So it sounds like we're slowly moving from The Witcher 2 port being a plane wreck to being a train wreck. Maybe I'll consider it playable if it ever moves up to being a car wreck.

I'll give this a shot when I get home today and see how it's improved. I've tried the beta before and performance was still awful with a 4960x and a GTX 780. Definitely feels laggy... but it sounds like this update may at least fix THAT problem.
                I'm surprised you had poor performance with that setup. My setup is fairly similar, I have a E3 1231v3, which is basically a i7-4770 minus the IGP, and a 780Ti and I played the game all the way through at 2560x1440 with no problems, all settings maxed, except Ubersampling off, Motion Blur off (not for performance reasons, I just hate Motion Blur), and Texture Memory Size set to Medium (because of what I suspect is a memory leak, hopefully fixed now), and this was before any of the beta patches when, I presume, performance was at its worst. I just fired the game up and turned on Ubersampling just for kicks (plus set Texture Memory Size to very large and left Motion Blur off because yuck). I was surprised to find the game was playable even with Ubersampling on. It wasn't perfectly smooth, but it was definitely playable. I didn't think even my 780Ti could handle Ubersampling at 2560x1440, even on Windows (I don't have Windows on this machine so I can't test that theory), since, as I understand it, Ubersampling means everything in every frame is rendered multiple times, and that's quite a workload at 2560x1440. My best guess is that the framerate with Ubersampling on was somewhere in the 20s, even with many many characters on the screen (the busiest part of Loc Muine). Without Ubersampling the game runs buttery smooth for me. Now this recent test was very short and I can only guess the FPS I was getting. Is there some kind of Linux program I can use that will either display or record what FPS I am getting in the game (or some kind of switch to the game's binary)?

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
                  I'm surprised you had poor performance with that setup. My setup is fairly similar, I have a E3 1231v3, which is basically a i7-4770 minus the IGP, and a 780Ti and I played the game all the way through at 2560x1440 with no problems, all settings maxed, except Ubersampling off, Motion Blur off (not for performance reasons, I just hate Motion Blur), and Texture Memory Size set to Medium (because of what I suspect is a memory leak, hopefully fixed now), and this was before any of the beta patches when, I presume, performance was at its worst. I just fired the game up and turned on Ubersampling just for kicks (plus set Texture Memory Size to very large and left Motion Blur off because yuck). I was surprised to find the game was playable even with Ubersampling on. It wasn't perfectly smooth, but it was definitely playable. I didn't think even my 780Ti could handle Ubersampling at 2560x1440, even on Windows (I don't have Windows on this machine so I can't test that theory), since, as I understand it, Ubersampling means everything in every frame is rendered multiple times, and that's quite a workload at 2560x1440. My best guess is that the framerate with Ubersampling on was somewhere in the 20s, even with many many characters on the screen (the busiest part of Loc Muine). Without Ubersampling the game runs buttery smooth for me. Now this recent test was very short and I can only guess the FPS I was getting. Is there some kind of Linux program I can use that will either display or record what FPS I am getting in the game (or some kind of switch to the game's binary)?

vogl ?

The Witcher 2 also worked quite well with latest nvidia drivers here & an E3-1245 v3, GTX 760 Phantom, kernel 3.16, BFS, BFQ, 1920x1080,

there was some mouse lag & large general lag

the general lag mostly vanished with Motion Blur disabled,

I'll give UberSampling a try & see whether Texture Memory Size Medium makes a differences

crashes mostly happen during shopping, when the character doesn't move fast enough and you'll keep on pressing the button in that direction it was moving towards

sometimes it's crashing almost instantly after having started up and re-loaded, sometimes in some areas

but mostly it seems to be stable - these crashes are probably mostly due to that compatibility layer

haven't had any larger AAA games on Linux so far, besides Metro: Last Light which meanwhile seems rocksolid (beginning to mid-section) on Nvidia, and with Catalyst drivers (had an R9 270X for a short time)

but towards the end (Polis) it crashed always (Nvidia), couldn't get forward [this was on my old box]

the quality of the ports or emulation layers have to improve considerably otherwise there always will be worse stability than on windows

Anyway: I'm confident that CD Projekt RED will do their best to make this a great port or at least "platform transfer"

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
                    Is there some kind of Linux program I can use that will either display or record what FPS I am getting in the game (or some kind of switch to the game's binary)?
                    It's easiest to use voglperf from Valve.

I just run voglperfrun64. It creates a local webserver. Open browser "http://127.0.0.1:8081". In the webconsole type "fpsshow on" "game start 20920". Done.

Comment

Working...
                    X