Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPlayer2-Forked MPV Player Releases v0.5 With A Lot Of Features

Phoronix: MPlayer2-Forked MPV Player Releases v0.5 With A Lot Of Features

The open-source MPV Player software that's derived from MPlayer2, which in turn is a fork of MPlayer, is out with a new version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

MPV is great, I have been using it for a while now (I switched from MPlayer). One feature that was added that I think is worth mentioning is the ability to cache to a file, something I find pretty handy when playing Youtube videos.

Comment

Is the API stable enough to build a GUI with it?

Saying something is stable doesn't mean it's ready.

🎥 Command line video player. Contribute to mpv-player/mpv development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/co...ibmpv/client.h
        Yes you can build a gui withi it.

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post

Check the client examples, they'll give you an idea of how "mature" the API is.

Comment

I'd like to point out that MPV is a fork of BOTH MPlayer and MPlayer2
            It pulls worthwhile changes from upstream MPlayer, but the codebase was originally forked from MPlayer2

The only GUI I would like is one that generates a config file for you... that doesn't require an API

Comment

My problem with this and other FLOSS projects is that they care a lot more about code itself than what it produces, probably because the developers are just coders and haven't got a clue about anything but coding. In this particular case, the devs only apparent goal is a clean codebase. Picture quality is not even in their radar... I had a conversation about this with them and I don't think they even understood what it was all about.

I wish there was a Linux project with the same goal as MadVR on Windows: the highest possible picture quality from any video source. Decoding a video stream and putting the pixels on the screen is just a first step. I'm amazed that every video player I've known on Linux doesn't go any further.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
                My problem with this and other FLOSS projects is that they care a lot more about code itself than what it produces, probably because the developers are just coders and haven't got a clue about anything but coding. In this particular case, the devs only apparent goal is a clean codebase. Picture quality is not even in their radar... I had a conversation about this with them and I don't think they even understood what it was all about.

I wish there was a Linux project with the same goal as MadVR on Windows: the highest possible picture quality from any video source. Decoding a video stream and putting the pixels on the screen is just a first step. I'm amazed that every video player I've known on Linux doesn't go any further.
                I don't know much about the subject, but I know that even with the opengl-old video output, MPV produces better picture quality than VLC does. I haven't really compared it to MPlayer or MPlayer2, though.
                Clean codebases are important, and a dirty codebase doesn't mean "lots of optimizations and quality-producing things", it usually just means "We hacked this together and didn't want to touch it later".

Comment

The current architecture makes it hard to implement MadVR's "smooth motion" and display refresh rate adaption. The rest is just PlaceboVR.

EDIT: Also developers who like to implement stuff like this are always welcome.

Comment

Picture quality is not even in their radar...
                    Vdpau has (at least on Nvidia) a high quality scaling mode, the opengl output has high quality scaling options too. What more is there? The smooth motion giselher mentions, isn't that just generating additional frames through blending adjacent frames? To my eyes, blending = baaaad.

Comment

Working...
                    X