Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Witcher 2 Performance Rises Again For Linux Gamers

Phoronix: The Witcher 2 Performance Rises Again For Linux Gamers

Earlier this week I wrote about The Witcher 2 Linux port being updated with performance improvements and now just a few days later is yet another beta with the performance continuing to be optimized in order to rectify the sour launch of Witcher 2 on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news. I am glad The Witcher's team is not ignoring performance issues. My machine is still slow for such a game, but I guess I will be buying it once I get a true gaming machine.

Comment

Excellent news! I'll finally be able to play through this game if I don't need to reboot my entire computer to play for a bit, then reboot back, re-open all my sessions and applications, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        Great news. I am glad The Witcher's team is not ignoring performance issues.
        My machine is still slow for such a game, but I guess I will be buying it once I get a true gaming machine.
        For VP there's no way to ignore it.
        This company wants to sell its technology.
        And as the issues didn't go unnoticed,
        they have to do something about it.

Comment

Major performance improvements are expected in the near future through the work of AMD and Intel driver developer teams.
          AMD Catalyst 14.8 Beta is still scheduled for this week I hear... shouldn't be long now, even if delayed until early next week.

Comment

This update made the game nicely playable for me. The update earlier this week already made it slightly playable, but it is a lot better now.

Of course, the Linux version will never have the same performance as the Windows version. But long term that isn't a very large problem. Hopefully The witcher 3 will at least perform well under Linux.

Comment

Well performance is one thing, the other is stability. This game crashes really every few minutes... I finished it with iorveth's help, but basically you would have to play it twice. About 40 h with lots of crashes Metro Last Light looks nice too, but does not crash all the time.

Comment

Good to hear they're continuing to put out updates. This is the first Linux game for this company. They've done OpenGL wrappers for Mac before but this is their first foray into Linux, so bumps in the road shouldn't be too surprising. That said, the performance and stability at (Linux) launch should have been a lot better than it was.

Comment

Too much work for that result.

A real Linux port, even if it would be a lazy port without any optimization will be 10 times better than this Wine-like port with full optimizations.

Word.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
                    Too much work for that result.

A real Linux port, even if it would be a lazy port without any optimization will be 10 times better than this Wine-like port with full optimizations.

Word.
                    true, but in this exact case it's probably not valid. they plan to use eon to port GOG games and that is why they are using w2 to get best performance possible. in case of GOG, there is often case when there is no source available.

all next games will already use every bit of progress and from the looks of it now, those ports won't be half bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X