Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 5.0 Doesn't Show Much Difference Yet For AMD's Steamroller

Phoronix: GCC 5.0 Doesn't Show Much Difference Yet For AMD's Steamroller

There's been a lot of AMD APU tests this week on Phoronix with having the newest Kaveri APUs. Our latest APU adventure is seeing how well the GCC performance compares between GCC 4.9 and GCC 4.10, what's expected to become GCC 5.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Overall there isn't too much to get excited about with these GCC 4.9 vs. 4.10 compiler benchmarks
    6.5% faster in the 1st benchmark, 7.7% in the 2nd benchmark, 2% faster in the 3rd... not that bad. Only the last benchmark doesn't look that good for GCC-5

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      6.5% faster in the 1st benchmark, 7.7% in the 2nd benchmark, 2% faster in the 3rd... not that bad. Only the last benchmark doesn't look that good for GCC-5
      Look at the openbenchmarking.org result file, in the article they only showed the graphs that showed wins. Still it's pretty good.

Comment

Also, this was without LTO.

main attraction of 4.10 is that LTO was to be polished, both WRT to optimisations being done as well as memory useage and CPU time during compilation.

Had he used LTO and done some profile guided optimisations, preferably with LTO-ed relevant libraires, gain might have been better.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
          Also, this was without LTO.

main attraction of 4.10 is that LTO was to be polished, both WRT to optimisations being done as well as memory useage and CPU time during compilation.

Had he used LTO and done some profile guided optimisations, preferably with LTO-ed relevant libraires, gain might have been better.
          LTO, PGO, and HyperZ, any other performance tweaks

Comment

I stopped updating GCC after version 4.7.

All later releases generate super bloated code which usually runs slower than the one produced using GCC 4.7.4 or GCC 4.5.4.

I cannot understand where GCC is headed to but hopefully Clang will catch up with GCC and then outstrip it.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              looks like you stopped taking your meds

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

All later releases generate super bloated code which usually runs slower than the one produced using GCC 4.7.4 or GCC 4.5.4.

I cannot understand where GCC is headed to but hopefully Clang will catch up with GCC and then outstrip it.
                asm intermediate dumps or didn't happen

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  looks like you stopped taking your meds
                  Pathetic GCC fanb0i.

Comment

4.7 branch was closed in June, have you tried to file bug reports for any of the open branches to try and get problems fixed?

Comment

Working...
                    X