Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Publishes Its Slides About OpenGL-Next

Phoronix: Khronos Publishes Its Slides About OpenGL-Next

Earlier this month at SIGGRAPH Vancouver we were surprised yet delighted by the news of Khronos developing a next-generation graphics API following OpenGL 4.5. All of the Khronos Group slides about OpenGL 4.5, OpenGL-Next, and their other industry-standard APIs have now been published from their SIGGRAPH track...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's what we needed

I hope Gallium will be fast to catch up !

Comment

Anand published them over a week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Anand published them over a week ago.
        Sharing it a week ago would've been cool, sharing it now is just lame.

Comment

This has all the potential to be a great train-wreck.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            Life has all the potential to be a great train-wreck.

Comment

I wonder if this new API has the potential to improve translation layers like Wine's d3d-to-opengl implementation. Because this will be low-level, translating seems more straight-forward to me.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Life has all the potential to be a great train-wreck.
                And it usually delivers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  Arguably, couldn't you say the current state of openGL is a train wreck? I guess a more accurate way to describe it is it's a train that is still on it's rails but has a failing engine.

I personally thing OpenGL-next sounds fantastic, though I'm a little disappointed that it breaks all compatibility. This is going to be a burden for Mesa and open source driver developers, and I'm not sure how this will pan out for people with older hardware. I think it's also potentially an issue for other projects too like Blender, Qt, VLC, and other things that have a pretty deep openGL implementation. I'm not too familiar with how to code for openGL but I can't imagine its a simple as just tweaking a few lines here and there and suddenly everything works. But, perhaps they may offer some backward compatibility, where some of the old obsolete code just doesn't do anything.

Comment

Pixar, Qualcomm, Samsung, NVIDIA, Epic Games, Unity, AMD, Oculus VR, Apple, ARM, VALVE, Hi Corp, Intel, Imagination, Blizzard, Sony, Broadcom, MediaTek, Google, EA, RTT, TransGaming, Mobica, and Vivante
                    Glad to see all those companies involved. The last thing we need is competition at an API level. I am quite surprised Apple is in the list. I guess they realize if their OS doesn't support a standard API it will have little chance of getting apps ported to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X