Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Many Things You Can Build With A Raspberry Pi

Phoronix: The Many Things You Can Build With A Raspberry Pi

Ruth Suehle and Tom Callaway are presenting at LinuxCon 2014 Chicago tomorrow about many different Raspberry Pi hacks and other Linux capabilities of these low-cost, low-performance single board computers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My favourite project using Raspberry Pi. An RPi based smartwatch:
    http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php

ODROID-W
    ODROID-W is a miniature computing module which is fully compatible with all software available for the Raspberry-Pi.

The W stands for:
    - Wearable device development
    - Widely applicable Internet of Things (IoT) development
    - Workable DIY electronics prototyping

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
      My favourite project using Raspberry Pi. An RPi based smartwatch:
      http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php
      Definitely nifty, but it looks like it'd still suffer from the #1 smartwatch problem: needing to be charged all the time.

I'm more interested in the Texas Instruments EZ430 as an experimentation platform since the user manual says that, when it's just displaying date and time, it'll run for two years on a CR2032.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
        Definitely nifty, but it looks like it'd still suffer from the #1 smartwatch problem: needing to be charged all the time.

I'm more interested in the Texas Instruments EZ430 as an experimentation platform since the user manual says that, when it's just displaying date and time, it'll run for two years on a CR2032.

Proper wearable products will must require an immediate energy generation like body heat, induction or whatever. Very low power systems are too limited and I think nuclear batteries aren't an option.

Comment

You have a good point, ssokolow.
          Battery life is very important for wearables.
          The Texas Instruments EZ430 is a very interesting piece of hardware for wearables.

Speaking about power use, wearables should use an e-ink display.

Comment

But how is this interesting?
            Phoronix has repeatedly told us that the performance of RPi is nowhere near that of an i7!

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              Proper wearable products will must require an immediate energy generation like body heat, induction or whatever. Very low power systems are too limited and I think nuclear batteries aren't an option.
              The problem is that there simply isn't much energy that can be harvested in a compact, portable form factor without relying on specific environmental conditions like "leave me in lying in direct sunlight". That's why designs like the Mosquino say "or from coin cells if you're not feeling adventurous".

Comment

Working...
              X