The Widely-Criticized New Commercial Linux Distro Is Now On Kickstarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Widely-Criticized New Commercial Linux Distro Is Now On Kickstarter

Phoronix: The Widely-Criticized New Commercial Linux Distro Is Now On Kickstarter

Back in July I wrote about a new Linux distribution based on Arch and Wayland that was aiming for commercial success and talked up being the "ultimate operating system" for users that could compete with the likes of Microsoft Windows. The distribution, Operating System U, was widely criticized by readers, but now the distribution is on Kickstarter to solicit funds...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hahahahaha

Couldn't help myself.

Comment

This is a joke. The team haven't even spent the effort to make a half decent video presentation. Just looking at this guy makes me laugh. And what kind of laptop is that? Some old OEM crap?

I would actually not object to serious companies selling good Linux desktops.

Comment

If he wants to be successful, do the following:

0) Find a target audience (devs? schools? both?)

1) Make a very cheap budget laptop like a chromebook.

2a) Make 3 tiers of the same model @ around $150, $250, and $500)
        That would be AMD, Intel, and dedicated GPU respectively
        OR
        2b) Make 3 models at the same price points as above, directed specifically at 3 target audiences. Like:
        - A standard small 11-14 inch laptop meant for typing, general browsing and use and maybe coding.
        - A tablet with a digitizer and IPS or other colour accurate screen.
        - A larger, bulkier laptop meant for desktop replacement
        The only problem with things like these is that they are often valued for being cheap, so if they start loosing that, then they will start losing customers.

3) When ordering the laptop, let the user pick the preloaded operating system.

4) Let them pick out accessories with little cutsy on-hover ads like:
        "Like having a million tabs open? You may want more RAM, which is just $__"
        "This CPU is good for gaming, letting you play most games."
        "Want the latest games, rendering or other intensive tasks? This GPU should give you more than enough power!"

5) Advertise and market leading up to the kickstarter.

6) Profit?

bonus round!
        7) For a stretch goal, add a E-Ink screen option or device.
        Last edited by profoundWHALE; 22 August 2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment

While the idea of a laptop that will run on a open stack (from coreboot to DE & drivers) is awesome what these guys are trying to do is not enough. Crappy OEMs won't cut it. People have done it and doesn't seem to attract many. Ie. how many devs you see carrying a System76 laptop instead of a MBook Air.

Comment

I love the Unity interface. It is so much more efficient and useful than any other interface I've tried. Not crazy about some things Ubuntu (e.g., dash, scopes/lenses, contributor agreement) but Unity is a nice design.

I certainly am not interested in going back to something that behaves like that stupide Windows button.
            Last edited by tiuykor; 22 August 2014, 02:52 PM.

Comment

they are trying for just $50,000,
              hahahahahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by tiuykor View Post
                I love the Unity interface. It is so much more efficient and useful than any other interface I've tried. Not crazy about some things Ubuntu (e.g., dash, contributor agreement) but Unity is a nice design.

I certainly am not interested in going back to something that behaves like that stupide Windows button.
                I have to agree except for a few things with the Unity interface that I don't like:
                - ALT-TAB is basically broken and only a nasty hack really makes it usable
                - Search uses the internet way too much for searching, although I guess that's how they can make money. At least I can disable it.
                - There's no 'Everything search' that search files as well as programs
                - Other minor issues with things not being configured out of the box properly. Graphics is usually okay though. (Assuming AMD or Intel open-source)

I like how the programs are laid out, easy to see and configurable to hide. I like how the windows and overall theme looks, and I like opening programs by typing a name of something in search and hitting enter like Windows 7.
                Last edited by profoundWHALE; 22 August 2014, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Michael pls, stop it I can hear you laughing all the way to Germany.

Not sure if the guy is actually serious, I hope he isn't.

Comment

Made my day

The Troll is strong with those guys...

I'm laughing so hard at that video

Comment

Working...
                    X