Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRM Graphics Changes For Linux 3.18 Might End Up Being Smaller

Phoronix: DRM Graphics Changes For Linux 3.18 Might End Up Being Smaller

Handling merge requests for the DRM graphics driver updates will be done differently for the Linux 3.18 kernel, which will result in a few less weeks of development time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't blame Linus when it comes to stability with display drivers. A strict rc5 deadline is adaquate, with the rest of the kernel releases focusingon bugfixes and stability.

(Typed using ASUS PadFone X Keyboard Dock.)

Comment

AFAIK Dave's email refers to what happens before the merge window, ie before rc1, not the rcN releases.

He's using rc5 from the *previous* release as a cutoff date for changes going into the next release, giving some time to test & work on the code before sending the merge window pull request to Linus.
      Test signature

Comment

I completely agree with Dave: recent radeonsi's 3.15 regressions are the proof that we need much more testing before pushing shit upstream.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
        X