Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GCC 5.0 Changes, Command-Line Options That Landed So Far

Phoronix: New GCC 5.0 Changes, Command-Line Options That Landed So Far

While we're just a few months into the GCC 4.10 release cycle that's going to be released as GCC 5, there's already some release notes forming for this 2015 open-source compiler update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One small but upcoming feature that I like is that gcc can be configured to generate instructions for a default target. The configure option "--with-arch=" will set the default and so one can have the compiler produce slightly better code without having to touch any Makefiles, setting environment variables or passing options to various configure and build scripts.

It is small, it is simple, but it is one of those things where you have to ask yourself: what took it so long?!

Comment

Also in but not listed in changes yet are some warning options which will help you help the compiler devirtualize function calls
      In previous posts of the series I described most of the new GCC devirtualization machinery. To cut the story short, GCC implements two kind...

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        One small but upcoming feature that I like is that gcc can be configured to generate instructions for a default target. The configure option "--with-arch=" will set the default and so one can have the compiler produce slightly better code without having to touch any Makefiles, setting environment variables or passing options to various configure and build scripts.

It is small, it is simple, but it is one of those things where you have to ask yourself: what took it so long?!
        Upcoming? I remember using that in 4.2 already.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Upcoming? I remember using that in 4.2 already.
          No. You are thinking of the the "-march=" switch. I am talking about something new. A configure option to set the default.
          Last edited by sdack; 26 August 2014, 05:30 PM.

Comment

C: -Wno-incompatible-pointer-types

Hopefully it'll finally catch broken void **/void * conversions.

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
              No. You are thinking of the the "-march=" switch. I am talking about something new. A configure option to set the default.
              Yes, I am talking about compile-time minimum cpu setting.

Comment

To be extra clear: GCC's compile-time minimum cpu setting.

Comment

Exhibit A: a commit from 2003 mentioning the configure option.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Exhibit A: a commit from 2003 mentioning the configure option.

http://repo.or.cz/w/official-gcc.git...7a5ba9027aff9c
                    Interesting. I have not seen the option before 4.10.

Comment

Working...
                    X