No announcement yet.

20-Way Radeon Comparison With Open-Source Graphics For Steam On Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20-Way Radeon Comparison With Open-Source Graphics For Steam On Linux Gaming

Phoronix: 20-Way Radeon Comparison With Open-Source Graphics For Steam On Linux Gaming

When it comes to Linux gamers wanting a discrete graphics card backed by open-source drivers, the only solution right now to truly recommend for those serious about performance and making use of the hardware is really AMD Radeon graphics. While Nouveau has been making much progress, until re-clocking and other issues are worked out the performance can be unbearably slow depending upon the particular graphics processor or run into other problems. (Of course, when talking about proprietary graphics drivers on Linux, the story is entirely different, or if considering integrated Intel HD Graphics.) For those pursuing a AMD Radeon GPU for their own Steam Box/Machine build and hope to use the open-source Gallium3D drivers, here's some Steam on Linux gaming benchmarks from almost two dozen different GPUs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

APU lineups maybe?

Thx Michael for testing games with steam.
    Is that possible to include results from APU's(Trinity and Kaveri) for comparision?
    That would be awesome if you can list those things together!

Comment

Originally posted by extraymond View Post
      Thx Michael for testing games with steam.
      Is that possible to include results from APU's(Trinity and Kaveri) for comparision?
      That would be awesome if you can list those things together!
      Unlikely this time around, too much time involved unless there's many requests for it from premium subscribers.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Unlikely this time around, too much time involved unless there's many requests for it from premium subscribers.
        While it is understandable to test on an Intel system (since CPU and memory will basically guarantee to not be the bottleneck), I think if you have the intention on testing APU graphics against others (both nvidia and AMD), the best way to get the most un-biased results is to test on APU systems only. For everything else, test on Intel.

However, maybe it'd be in your interest to run graphics tests involving your best nvidia GPU and your best AMD GPU on your best intel rig and your best APU rig using closed source drivers. I'm not sure if you've ever done this, and could determine whether or not the CPU even matters for graphics tests on linux, and if so, by how much.

Comment

Michael you did great benchmarking Steam games

Those benchmarks talk so much more to me compared to Openarena and other oldies...
          (no offense I still play them sometimes, but they make little interest technically)

Thank you so much!

Comment

just currrious, is the fact that 6450 is so slow bug in mesa or is this card really so bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
              Michael you did great benchmarking Steam games

Those benchmarks talk so much more to me compared to Openarena and other oldies...
              (no offense I still play them sometimes, but they make little interest technically)

Thank you so much!
              I dunno, wouldn't call the games used here youngsters either. How old are they 7-8 years already?

Comment

Thanks finally some real benchmarks

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                  I dunno, wouldn't call the games used here youngsters either. How old are they 7-8 years already?
                  well i heard civilization5 on steam for linux work awesome in radeonsi but haven't buyed myself yet tho, so i can't guarantee is accurate

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    well i heard civilization5 on steam for linux work awesome in radeonsi but haven't buyed myself yet tho, so i can't guarantee is accurate
                    I've played Civ5 on my Radeon 7850 at home without issues... I can verify that it works with a fluid frame rate and seems to render correctly.

Along with that, I often play Eve Online with fairly high graphics settings, also without issues. I finished Portal 2 on my 7850 a few months back as well. I'm not really worried about the speed of the radeonsi driver at this point at all for the games that we've got available in GNU/Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X