Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's Utopic Unicorn 14.10 Beta 1 Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Utopic Unicorn 14.10 Beta 1 Released

Participating Ubuntu Linux flavors are doing their first beta releases today of the Utopic Unicorn, a.k.a. *buntu 14.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it run systemd now? What kernel version?

Comment

no

3.16.x

Comment

Originally posted by tjaalton View Post
        no

3.16.x
        It seems like systemd is installed though, but just doesn't start with "init=/usr/lib/systemd". You can type systemd-<tab> and it will show you all of the systemd tools on the live environment.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          It seems like systemd is installed though, but just doesn't start with "init=/usr/lib/systemd". You can type systemd-<tab> and it will show you all of the systemd tools on the live environment.
          you'd want systemd-sysv for the init, it's not going to be default in 14.10 as you can see from the list of packages that'll get removed if you try install it.. and it's still very much WIP

Comment

you'd want systemd-sysv for the init, it's not going to be default in 14.10 as you can see from the list of packages that'll get removed if you try install it.. and it's still very much WIP
            I tried the Debian Jessia Beta, which now uses systemd by default and it worked pretty well. Is there a list of stuff that doesn't work on Ubuntu with systemd?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              I tried the Debian Jessia Beta, which now uses systemd by default and it worked pretty well. Is there a list of stuff that doesn't work on Ubuntu with systemd?
              It's easier for Debian to switch from sysvinit, but work done there doesn't necessarily help on Ubuntu which migrates from upstart.. a lot of upstart jobs need to be rewritten for systemd and so on. I actually tried systemd-sysv on Utopic, and the machine failed to reboot because it "failed to talk to init". So there are lots of integration issues to be resolved..

here's some blueprint with pointers for the interested
              Discuss the strategy for a migration from Upstart as PID 1 to systemd. = Scope = This discussion is limited to the system init (PID 1) only. Discussion of the implications of a migration to systemd on the current Session Init will be covered by a separate blueprint. = Discussion Points = * Timing - when should such a transition occur to ensure maximum system stability? * Work closely with Debian. * Co-installability of systemd and upstart (to simplify automated (re-)boot testing whilst pr...

and some bugs that are related
              Ubuntu also includes a wide variety of software through its network of software repositories. Once your system is installed you can simply call up a list of all the existing tools out there and choose any of them for immediate installation over the internet.

Comment

I've been running systemd since May

This package is the one that overwrites init with a link to /lib/systemd/systemd, thus conflicts with Upstart. I don't have it installed, but boot with init=/lib/systemd/systemd in the kernel command line, with systemd in a Dracut initramfs as well, and on an encrypted filesystem with my multi disk unlocking code ported to systemd as well. Lots of hacking back in May to make it work, but it was with Dracut and Plymouth that I had all the issues, systemd just needed me to make sure there were no unused/invalid entries in /etc/crypttab.

I have had to pin systemd once when a bad set of updates came out, but what I am running right now is current as of last Saturday (Aug 23,2014). I wonder if some recent bug has crept in stopping recognition of systemd when booting from a Upstart initramfs, and done so in the last week. One machine I has to set up quickly uses a normal Ubuntu initramfs but transfers control to systemd without issues, again last updated last Saturday.

The difference between Upstart and Systemd booting is obvious on my machines as console text is completely different, plymouth behavior is different-and the encrypted RAID for /home comes up with a different /dev/md(something) device name and has to be manually opened in Upstart.

Biggest hassle I have to deal withright now is invoking Dracut from a script on the desktop to make my initramfs every time it is updated.

Comment

xorg 1.16

It's still missing: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ly/038411.html

Comment

upgradeable kubuntu plasma 14.10 beta?

Hey all,
                    I was just wondering if I installed kubuntu 14.10 beta KDE 5 edition if i would later be able to upgrade to the main Kubuntu releases, or is kubuntu 14.10 plasma beta STRICTLY for previewing purposes? i really can't wait for KDE 5

Comment

Working...
                    X