Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 14.10's Lack Of X.Org Server 1.16 Gets Blamed On AMD

Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.10's Lack Of X.Org Server 1.16 Gets Blamed On AMD

Yesterday I wrote about Ubuntu 14.10 not yet having X.Org Server 1.16 even though the first beta was issued this week and there's been a testing package repository for more than one month. This lack of X.Org Server 1.16 thus far is apparently due to AMD with not yet having a supportive Catalyst driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

hm

i don't agree with this, it's about time to force the end of fglrx,...

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
      i don't agree with this, it's about time to force the end of fglrx,...
      There needs to be middle ground. As mentioned already, Ubuntu tends to be behind when it comes to the open-source graphic stack. Only other alternative afaik is to use stuff from git from oibaf's PPA.

In the case of my 7850, it's either deal with text corruption (stock), or deal with total system lockups with simple desktop usage (oibaf). Both are non-existent with Catalyst.

The middle ground I believe would be to offer the latest stable open-source graphics components, much like Arch does.

Comment

I wonder how many lines of code need to be changed to adapt to the new X ABI for fglrx. Is X that volatile?

The middle ground I believe would be to offer the latest stable open-source graphics components, much like Arch does.
        Well but then you can argue why Canonical should stop there? Why not offer the latest stable nvidia driver too? And what about libre office? Why just drivers?

Comment

I'll probably switch distros when one of them comes out later this year. I've been looking forward to the updated open source graphics performance and I'm not willing to wait 8 months for it.

Comment

nvidia and libreoffice

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            I wonder how many lines of code need to be changed to adapt to the new X ABI for fglrx. Is X that volatile?

Well but then you can argue why Canonical should stop there? Why not offer the latest stable nvidia driver too? And what about libre office? Why just drivers?
            you have a libreoffice ppa i use it from 2 years never had problems, for nvidia use the website or download the deb files from xorg edgers

Comment

Pisses me off

This pisses me off, this is not the first time technological progress is hindered by AMD.
              AMD keeps doing this shit every time, never having device drivers out in time.

People who don't even have AMD, people with Intel and Nvidia suffers because of this too.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                There needs to be middle ground. As mentioned already, Ubuntu tends to be behind when it comes to the open-source graphic stack. Only other alternative afaik is to use stuff from git from oibaf's PPA.

In the case of my 7850, it's either deal with text corruption (stock), or deal with total system lockups with simple desktop usage (oibaf). Both are non-existent with Catalyst.

Then there must be something broken in Ubuntu, I have exactly the same card and zero problems with Fedora, all open-source. Actually, I just finished Portal 2 with highest settings at FullHD resolution, without a single issue, and that ought to put some stress on the graphical stack...

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                  Then there must be something broken in Ubuntu
                  okay i laughed

i guess for your next trick you're going to tell us water is wet

Comment

lol

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                    Then there must be something broken in Ubuntu, I have exactly the same card and zero problems with Fedora, all open-source. Actually, I just finished Portal 2 with highest settings at FullHD resolution, without a single issue, and that ought to put some stress on the graphical stack...
                    what card? try do the same with metro

Comment

Working...
                    X