Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGEIA Responds, Talks PhysX On Linux

Phoronix: AGEIA Responds, Talks PhysX On Linux

Coincidently, on the same day that the Unreal Tournament 3 Linux server was released, AGEIA had finally responded to our inquiry whether PhysX is delaying UT3 for Linux. AGEIA has also clarified their stance regarding Linux support.AGEIA's VP of Marketing, Michael Steele, had let us know that he isn't aware of any pending legal issues regarding Unreal Tournament 3 and its Linux support.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now... What in the heck did I say about this, folks?

Licensing issues? Let's try another, more likely to be iffy piece of middleware- GameSpy. And I could be talking out my arse on even that piece, but it's the likely guilty candidate as it'd be impacting both client and server.

Who knows until Ryan or Epic tell- if they can ever tell everyone. NDA's suck, after all.

Comment

Yeah very likely Gamespy. I'm actually kinda surprised and at the same time not so surprised that Ageia will be shipping a Linux driver for their PPU. Reason why I'm surprised is because I wouldn't expect them to actually care about that, even if they do have a Linux SDK. Definitely means Linux is growing very well.

The reason why I'm not surprised is because of the PS3 and in another way, the SDK. Maybe I should look at Ageia as a friend instead of a foe. I always thought they would become a foe but they look pretty friendly to me now.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
        Yeah very likely Gamespy. I'm actually kinda surprised and at the same time not so surprised that Ageia will be shipping a Linux driver for their PPU. Reason why I'm surprised is because I wouldn't expect them to actually care about that, even if they do have a Linux SDK. Definitely means Linux is growing very well.
        Not that it would be an easy feat, nor accurate, but a guesstimate of driver downloads from Nvidia and ATi might yield some interesting numbers... However those would even be deceiving as most users get their drivers from their distribution's repositories, and gathering an estimate solely on driver downloads might be mighty impossible... However, for stuff like this, utilities such as "smolt" start to really appear as corporation friendly tools, as it may not only yield a more accurate estimate of Linux users (if other distros adopt it and if a uinified database is maintained... A BIG if, though) as it not only wold serve the purposes of "accounting" Linux installations, but also for the most pesky "hardware configurations"... I'm sure you'll see many surprises if you looked at what smolt has gathered in terms of hardware setups and installation base... And (to my knowledge) only one distro uses it of yet (Fedora) and others have said to be willing to use it also (OpenSuSE and Ubuntu, AFAIK)... So who knows, maybe there are a LOT of surprises in the Linux boot camp that escapes from your traditional statistics data

Comment

the question is then, what license will the driver be under? will it be yet another rather useless blob, or something we can actually use? if it turns out the latter, there might very well turn out to sit an ageia card in my pc quickly

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
            Heh... Indeed. It could be one of the OEMs leaning on them (coughDellcough...) considering that there is some of the OEMs that are now more aggressively shipping with Linux because Vista burned 'em badly- and these OEMs are shipping laptops and desktops with Ageia's hardware in them. No use in supporting the stuff in their hardware if there's not at least a proprietary blob to drive it all with.

There was another reason that I didn't think that it was PhysX holding things up and thought the whole thing was needless sensationalism there...that'd be it.

The reason why I'm not surprised is because of the PS3 and in another way, the SDK. Maybe I should look at Ageia as a friend instead of a foe. I always thought they would become a foe but they look pretty friendly to me now.
            Now, why would you have thought that? I talked with them at length at QuakeCon back when they first rolled the thing out and were doing the dog and pony show there. They were very, very nice and didn't just brush me off. Had me add myself to their SDK devrel contact list, even.

Their tech guys indicated that it wouldn't be too difficult for them to make a Linux driver for the card, but they opted to not do it for the first cuts of things because it's engineering effort with less payback than doing the Windows support would have been. They told me that there would be drivers done when a studio or an OEM specifically asked them to make drivers or the market demand indicated that it was time- and that they weren't there yet with it but in a couple of years they thought they would be there with it for us, if not sooner. That was 3 years ago.

Comment

Working...
            X