Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlayOnLinux Has Experimental BSD Support

Phoronix: PlayOnLinux Has Experimental BSD Support

The PlayOnLinux open-source project that's a graphical front-end to Wine to ease the installation of Windows games on Linux and other applications, is continuing to push ahead as it gains more features against CodeWeavers' CrossOver software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess if the BSD experiment goes well then the project can be renamed to POP (Play on POSIX)

Comment

Totally waiting for Play on SteamOS.

Comment

Awesome, so once they get that all finished up and in the ports tree and compatibility with modern linux distros through the linuxolator, plus improve the radeon driver I can then properly evaluate switching to PC-BSD

Comment

First rule of Wine forums is to not speak of PlayOnLinux.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            First rule of Wine forums is to not speak of PlayOnLinux.
            It somehow makes sense if one considers that wine developers are behind CrossOver project too.

Not that I agree, but is understandable somehow, isn't it?
            Last edited by reCAPTCHA; 04 September 2014, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              Awesome, so once they get that all finished up and in the ports tree and compatibility with modern linux distros through the linuxolator, plus improve the radeon driver I can then properly evaluate switching to PC-BSD
              Yep, if Linux games and Steam could work under BSD?

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                I guess if the BSD experiment goes well then the project can be renamed to POP (Play on POSIX)
                Good one

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                  Yep, if Linux games and Steam could work under BSD?
                  i think they call it Steam for MAC

Comment

Originally posted by reCAPTCHA View Post
                    It somehow makes sense if one considers that wine developers are behind CrossOver project too.

Not that I agree, but is understandable somehow, isn't it?
                    Nope, it isn't that "wine developers are behind CrossOver". It's that CodeWeavers manages wine development. [and obviously, Crossover development]. [but note: POL isn't competition for CodeWeavers/Crossover, in any sense at all... and no one is hiring POL devs to port applications to winelib, help with wine use in a product, etc.].

POL users can't get help in Wine forums because they aren't using Vanilla/upstream wine - POL may introduce hacks/patches that can potentially lead to different bugs [that may not be in upstream wine], etc ~ So one can't expect to get support from wine developers, if they are using a different build ~ thus, they are told to go get help from POL, not upstream Wine.... the same is true of CrossOver, Etersoft-wine, etc. [Crossover, Etersoft, POL, other commercial builds of Wine usually have their own bug reporting system/tracker].

There are exceptions, meaning some of these other wine projects/developers do visit the forums or devel list - but their problems tend to be more specific and not an end-user trying to get wine developers to fix XYZ problem in unsupported builds... Myself, I have gotten help from various wine developers over the years, on my own builds. If i bump into an issue/bug - I figure out if it is a wine bug or not. If it is, i simply remove any extra debug/messages from the outputand/or i reproduce the issue on vanilla-wine... If it is a problem specific to a patch/my build - then i disclose that information, usually link to the patch [that is the culprit] and ask for pointers/assistance...I've never been shunned away by wine-devs for doing so - usually they are very helpful/insightful.

cheerz

Comment

Working...
                    X