Gentoo Linux LiveDVD Updated With X.Org Server 1.16, Linux 3.15 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo Linux LiveDVD Updated With X.Org Server 1.16, Linux 3.15 Kernel

Phoronix: Gentoo Linux LiveDVD Updated With X.Org Server 1.16, Linux 3.15 Kernel

For those that missed it, a big update to the Gentoo LiveDVD was released a few days back. This LiveDVD update is dubbed the "Iron Penguin Edition" and has a ton of package updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"gnmome 3.12"

Comment

im curious about one thing... im getting the impression, that with kaveri AMD produced exactly 1 chip in different settings where the 7600 (without K) is the actual chip (according to toms hardware)
      that of course will hardly 100% be true but not unheard of since the phenom X3s and X2s (that were 4 core CPUs with disabled cores due to fabrication faults - or maybe just an urban legend)
      anyway what id like to know is if the IPC value takes a dive for higher frequencies or do the signals not come in clearly so the voltage must be adjusted?... id like to know how it can be that for 5% more throughput costs around 20% or more power (maybe some undervolt tests could be done..)
      can someone comment on that?
      could there be a comparison with intel chips with same featuresize?

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
        im curious about one thing... im getting the impression, that with kaveri AMD produced exactly 1 chip in different settings where the 7600 (without K) is the actual chip (according to toms hardware)
        that of course will hardly 100% be true but not unheard of since the phenom X3s and X2s (that were 4 core CPUs with disabled cores due to fabrication faults - or maybe just an urban legend)
        anyway what id like to know is if the IPC value takes a dive for higher frequencies or do the signals not come in clearly so the voltage must be adjusted?... id like to know how it can be that for 5% more throughput costs around 20% or more power (maybe some undervolt tests could be done..)
        can someone comment on that?
        could there be a comparison with intel chips with same featuresize?
        damn... that was supposedto go into another thread... slightly (!) of topic here...

Comment

Quick answer -- dynamic power consumption goes up linearly with clock speed, so at first glance higher clocks shouldn't be a big deal. At a system level, however, since voltages are typically set as low as possible for a given clock speed you usually need to raise the voltage as well -- and dynamic power is proportional to the square of the voltage. That doesn't exactly translate into power draw being proportional to the cube of the clock but it's close enough for government work.

That's why the general trend is towards more cores and more parallellism rather than higher clocks.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            That's why the general trend is towards more cores and more parallellism rather than higher clocks.
            Just sad that there is still a lot of software that does not make use of all these features (some photo programs, webbrowsers, some games and others). Some is even believed not to scale well on multicores (gentoo emerge calculating dependencies, the devs said to me when I asked why it is running only on one core).

More on topic: OMG, we have a liveDVD again! Wahoo!
            The assortment of DEs / WMs shows that Gentoo is all about choice. I wonder if they had to use systemd on the DVD for Gnome3. I am happy that I still have the choice not to use it.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              More on topic: OMG, we have a liveDVD again! Wahoo!
              The assortment of DEs / WMs shows that Gentoo is all about choice. I wonder if they had to use systemd on the DVD for Gnome3. I am happy that I still have the choice not to use it.
              I'm not sure if GNOME3 w/o systemd is possible but it's definitely possible to use other DEs with OpenRC. I use Xfce for example and it work quite well for me.

To elaborate a bit more on the topic of choice, I've come to like Gentoo after having had to manage ~500 Gentoo servers in one of my past jobs. I had toyed with it in the past as a student but never had to manage it as an administrator before. It turned out to be quite a pleasnt affair: we had the portage tree synchronized across all machines and we used a subset of them to test updates and eventually roll them to all the other boxes. We did a major upgrade anually with out-of-band minor updates to address pressing issues or security concerns. All in all it was very pleasing to be able to keep our software up to date without having to go through a re-install of a new major version each time. As a side note we were also fairly conservative with updates in general and Gentoo slot system gave us time to do migrations when we felt like it instead of being forced on us by the distribution (e.g. we moved to cfengine3 with a lot of ease and while keeping the cfengine2 package around for a long time until we were ready).

Two other things I was very pleased with were the OpenRC migration - we could migrate hundred of machines from SysV RC to OpenRC without interruptions to the workloads running on the boxes - and the fact that we could keep a really minimal installation on most of our boxes thus greatly reducing our configuration burden and security perimeter.

Comment

Choice, Gentoo is about choice!

I really liked this LiveDVD.
                A bunch of softwares inside it, including many DE's and WM's. This is Gentoo! :-)

Comment

Working...
                X