Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's 3.0 X.Org Driver Takes Another Step Closer To Release

Phoronix: Intel's 3.0 X.Org Driver Takes Another Step Closer To Release

With how long xf86-video-intel 3.0 is taking to be released as stable, one has to wonder whether Wayland will take over the Linux desktop prior to this DDX release.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

xf86-video-intel 3.0 is hereby nominated the new DNF. Though everybody's really waiting on 3.11 for Wayland Workgroups.

Comment

Support for X without root privileges, DRI3+Present.
      Wow, awesome!

Hope to soon see this get released.
      Sounds very promising.

Comment

I'm testing a recompiled 2.99.916 with DRI3 enabled (is now disabled on stock Archlinux package).
        As I already reported, there's no drop in 3D performance while using a composite manager, but only DRI3 does the magic...
        Delays are still present with some apps (chromium), but overall the performance of this driver is impressive: SNA at its best!
        Thank you Chris.

Comment

Yesterday Keith Packard started working on xf86-video-intel.
          Some of his glamor/dri3 related patches sounds very promising to me.

Comment

What exactly is DRI 3 for? How would I enable it in Fedora 20? Fedora is about the only distro that is still on the very old xf86 driver so it's missing lots of stuff. Do I need 1.15 verison of xserver? I believe Fedora is on 1.14, so I would have to compile that as well?

edit: I see this comment for Mesa 10 for Fedora:
            * Tue Apr 15 2014 Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> 10.1-6.20140305
            - Disable DRI3 in F20, it requires libxcb bits we haven't backported.
            Last edited by xenphor; 14 September 2014, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xenphor View Post
              What exactly is DRI 3 for? How would I enable it in Fedora 20? Fedora is about the only distro that is still on the very old xf86 driver so it's missing lots of stuff. Do I need 1.15 verison of xserver? I believe Fedora is on 1.14, so I would have to compile that as well?

edit: I see this comment for Mesa 10 for Fedora:
              * Tue Apr 15 2014 Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> 10.1-6.20140305
              - Disable DRI3 in F20, it requires libxcb bits we haven't backported.
              DRI3 is the successor to DRI2.
              It allows tear-free rendering.

Comment

Working...
              X