Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox Releases New Multi-Head PCI-E Graphics Cards

Phoronix: Matrox Releases New Multi-Head PCI-E Graphics Cards

Matrox is out with new professional graphics cards in their new C-Series product line-up. These new graphics cards designed for driving multiple displays -- including a quad-output fan-less graphics card -- will be supported under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Didn't they used to make their own chips?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Didn't they used to make their own chips?
      Yes, yes they did. Most of their cards to date have been based on the G400 and then the Parhelia lines (I think). This use of AMD GPUs is news to me. I've been wondering how long it would be until Matrox either came out with a new GPU, died, or used a 3rd party chip... thankfully they didn't choose the middle option.

Comment

I heard about Matrox using AMD-based chips last week but I didn't hear much info on what they intended to do. At first I thought it was incredibly dumb, but now that I know you can drive 6 displays from a single-slot GPU, this seems to not be so stupid and useless after all. OTOH, you could also just go for an APU, get a mobo with 3 display connectors and a discrete GPU that also has 3 connectors and you'll still get your 6 displays while only having 1 card. But, since matrox tends to be more geared toward non-desktop computers, maybe an APU isn't too attractive.

Comment

You can drive up to 6 displays depending on the asic on all radeon GPUs since evergreen.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            You can drive up to 6 displays depending on the asic on all radeon GPUs since evergreen.
            perhaps, but for fixed installations (think airport flight status screens or wall street trading floor screens) having all the same connector type eases integration. i don't know of any other video cards on the market with six mini display port connectors on a single slot card. plus think of the possibilities when installing multiple cards into one machine...

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              perhaps, but for fixed installations (think airport flight status screens or wall street trading floor screens) having all the same connector type eases integration. i don't know of any other video cards on the market with six mini display port connectors on a single slot card. plus think of the possibilities when installing multiple cards into one machine...
              How about this one?

Buy Visiontek Radeon HD 7750 2GB GDDR5 6M (6 x Mini DP), 900614 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                There are AMD FirePro W600.

Comment

I wonder what's the performance of both compared..

Would be nice to have 6x4k screens per card. I could imagine many monitoring environments to require 24 4k screens in the future. Possible with 4 such cards. Too bad no opencl 2.0 support. The GPU ram also seems quite limited. 2GB per screen is more suitable for modern tasks.

Comment

This should not be comparable by virtue of not having ECC RAM. Typically only the workstation and compute cards have this.

Comment

Working...
                    X