Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD RadeonSI Gallium3D Performance For 4K Linux Gaming

Phoronix: AMD RadeonSI Gallium3D Performance For 4K Linux Gaming

While we routinely carry out Ultra HD (4K) Linux graphics/gaming benchmarks at Phoronix, it's generally been conducted with the proprietary NVIDIA and AMD graphics drivers since the open-source drivers traditionally have had a challenge on performance even at 1080p. However, thanks to the maturing open-source Radeon driver stack, it's possible with higher-end AMD graphics processors with the latest open-source Linux driver code to begin running at the 4K UHD resolution of 3840 x 2160.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't imagine me using 4K for anything in the near future, but an interesting read non-the-less.

Presumably you wouldn't need to use any AA at this resolution?

Comment

Very interesting test, Michael. Thank you very much.

Comment

Very nice.

I'd love to see you get a DP monitor so you can test a bit older cards.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          I can't imagine me using 4K for anything in the near future, but an interesting read non-the-less.

Presumably you wouldn't need to use any AA at this resolution?
          I only have UHD, but you definitely still need antialiasing. The problem is since the screen is so large, the PPI is nowhere near what a smartphone has. You really need at least around 200 PPI from a monitor before jaggies start disappearing without AA.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
            I only have UHD, but you definitely still need antialiasing. The problem is since the screen is so large, the PPI is nowhere near what a smartphone has. You really need at least around 200 PPI from a monitor before jaggies start disappearing without AA.
            Yeah... that being said, I'm not upgrading from 1080 for a long time. I personally think there are too many downsides to UHD - the overall performance loss, so much wasted horizontal space on web pages, any software not optimized for it looks tiny, AFAIK there are no movies or shows higher than 1080p, and I also just have no use for that much screen real estate.

So Michael.... when are you going to get a KVM switch? Seems like your setup is getting pretty out of hand. You could save a lot of space if you ditch all those monitors and keyboards.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Yeah... that being said, I'm not upgrading from 1080 for a long time. I personally think there are too many downsides to UHD - the overall performance loss, so much wasted horizontal space on web pages, any software not optimized for it looks tiny, AFAIK there are no movies or shows higher than 1080p, and I also just have no use for that much screen real estate.

So Michael.... when are you going to get a KVM switch? Seems like your setup is getting pretty out of hand. You could save a lot of space if you ditch all those monitors and keyboards.
              You could rotate the monitor and use it in portrait mode.

Comment

I do have a KVM switch but never use it.... My setup works. Sometimes I end up using 4+ keyboards, monitors, and mouse simultaneously.... One computer for my emails / article writing / Internet surfing / business tasks. Then anywhere from 1~3 systems concurrently running benchmarks. Then usually a separate system when I'm working on / testing PTS/Phoromatic/OB code. I prefer having dedicated monitors so I can see when a test is done (albeit PTS can also email / txt me) but especially for making sure the system doesn't hang or that when running any graphics tests there are no artifacts or anything, so will be monitoring them with my peripheral vision.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  Very nice.

I'd love to see you get a DP monitor so you can test a bit older cards.
                  AMD specs for 6870 say the max res is 2560x1600.

Comment

personally, I have one.you just have to rethink the way you work. Split screen everything.

Comment

Working...
                    X