Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUSE Gets Bought Out Again

Phoronix: SUSE Gets Bought Out Again

SUSE's parent company The Attachmate Group has been bought out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hm. I wonder if it means that they'll start pushing manufacturers to sell computers with openSUSE preinstalled. I'd really like that. It's already 2014 and you barely can buy a computer with Linux preinstalled from major brands. It's ridiculous. Not that I personally need it, but it would help Linux adoption tremendously.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Hm. I wonder if it means that they'll start pushing manufacturers to sell computers with openSUSE preinstalled. I'd really like that. It's already 2014 and you barely can buy a computer with Linux preinstalled from major brands. It's ridiculous. Not that I personally need it, but it would help Linux adoption tremendously.
      Yeah, but I actually worry more about their interest in SUSE. Do they really care? I hope so, but the Reuters article doesn't even mention Linux or SUSE!

Comment

Interesting. They certainly aren't Microsoft. In fact, they seem to be the Royal Society of Putting New Things Instead of Old Things. Hopefully that means that a lot of Old Things will get replaced by SUSE-based New Things.

Comment

This means SUSE is fully European again. How nice.

Comment

a small company..

a smaller company buying a major one

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
              a smaller company buying a major one
              Porsche almost bought Volkswagen (~10 times as large) in 2009... so why not?

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                Porsche almost bought Volkswagen (~10 times as large) in 2009... so why not?
                but it ended viseversa

sure, they have a special state within the VW enterprises but anyway.

Comment

For some reason that I don't quite understand, Micro Focus sent me the announcement and it started thus:

On 15 September 2014, Micro Focus announced its intention to merge with the Attachmate Group of companies. The principal trading companies within the Attachmate Group are Attachmate, Novell, NetIQ and SUSE. We expect the merger to close on 3rd November following regulatory and shareholder approvals.
                  So, they described it as a 'merger' while Reuters refer to it as a 'reverse takeover' and the WSJ refers to 'buying' The Attachmate Group.

Hm. I wonder if it means that they'll start pushing manufacturers to sell computers with openSUSE preinstalled.
                  While that might be a good thing, it doesn't seem to be Micro Focus', err, focus. They seem to be about facilitating the ongoing use of legacy mainframe applications, so, short of a major diversification, you'd expect them to be trying to migrate 'big iron' apps to smaller iron. Whether Suse-on-modern-hardware is a big part of that, or whether there are other parts of Attachmate that they really fancied and have got Suse as part of the deal is probably less than completely clear, just yet, but you'd have thought that they have a use for Suse/Novell, even if only in the enterprise space.

Interesting times (again) for Suse.

Comment

"Reverse-takeover" sounds pretty close to "reverse-pickpocket", which in Fallout universe means nothing more than "implanting a live explosive undetected"

Comment

Working...
                    X