Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Announcement On SUSE's Recent Merger

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Announcement On SUSE's Recent Merger

On Monday Phoronix was the first to report from the point that SUSE's parent company was bought out in what's now being referred to as a merger of The Attachmate Group and Micro Focus. The openSUSE community has now issued an announcement concerning this recent corporate activity...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm glad it's business as usual.

When it's a (non-rolling) Gnome 3 or KDE implementation i want, openSUSE remains my usual distro of choice.

Comment

The previous changes have been good for openSUSE (increased cooperation with SLES, better infrastructure, better tools, better policies). I hope this will be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by korrode View Post
        I'm glad it's business as usual.

When it's a (non-rolling) Gnome 3 or KDE implementation i want, openSUSE remains my usual distro of choice.
        openSUSE Factory since 2 months is a pretty damn stable rolling release. I am using it since 2 months daily on desktop and htpc as productive systems .
        Factory gives you all the newest but stable (no beta or RC) releases of everything. From what I read Arch is comparable, but I never used Arch...

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          The previous changes have been good for openSUSE (increased cooperation with SLES, better infrastructure, better tools, better policies). I hope this will be the same.
          yeah - the base-work on the way to 13.2 is amazing. you can already check it out using factory. I am on suse since 9.3 and I can already say that 13.2 will give you the biggest improvement on a new release ever. The new Yast and Zypper are so much faster, everything is already stable in factory, KDE 3.14 is super-polished-fast now. Even the new network-tool (name is "wicked") works as an alternative to network manager for complex network environments.
          I love it

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            openSUSE Factory since 2 months is a pretty damn stable rolling release. I am using it since 2 months daily on desktop and htpc as productive systems .
            Factory gives you all the newest but stable (no beta or RC) releases of everything. From what I read Arch is comparable, but I never used Arch...
            And then there is thumbleweed, why does almost nobody know openSUSE has two rolling releases too ?

Factory and thumbleweed.

The Tumbleweed project provides a rolling updates version of openSUSE containing the latest stable versions of all software instead of relying on rigid periodic release cycles. The project does this for users that want the newest, but stable software.

The difference to Factory is that Factory is bleeding edge, often experimental, not yet stabilized software that needs more work to become useful. Tumbleweed contains the latest stable applications and is ready for daily use.

Comment

Does the Factory repo contain nvidia blobs or no? I remember Tumbleweed did not.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
                And then there is thumbleweed, why does almost nobody know openSUSE has two rolling releases too ?
                They are not quite the same.
                - the new rolling Factory is basically what most people call a rolling distro. (Similar to Debian Sid, Gentoo, etc.). i.e.: all the packages are constantly getting updated
                - tumbleweed is stable opensuse at the base with select package being updated (Think like Debian backports, or Ubuntu with the Oibaf PPA, etc.) i.e.: the core is stable and ~10% package are updated.

(source)

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                Does the Factory repo contain nvidia blobs or no? I remember Tumbleweed did not.
                in general, opensuse rely extensively on additional/3rd party repositories. due to licensing, Suse aren't allowed to provide the driver themselves, instead Nvidia maintain their own repositories for the driver
                here: ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/

The main problem is, as it's a rolling distribution, Xorg and kernel might get unexpectedly upgraded while the NVidia driver still lags behind, and thus the driver might be broken on the latest API.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
                  in general, opensuse rely extensively on additional/3rd party repositories. due to licensing, Suse aren't allowed to provide the driver themselves, instead Nvidia maintain their own repositories for the driver
                  here: ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/
                  It isn't due to licensing that openSUSE does not host the nvidia drivers. It's openSUSE's policy not to provide the proprietary nvidia driver which requires the nvidia kernel module which some kernel developers erroneously regard as being in violation of the GPL (the actual nvidia license for the nvidia blobs has always allowed repackaging and redistribution and actually encourage it).

Still it is the openSUSE project that create and maintain the nvidia blob packages, not nvidia. Nvidia just provides them with a repo directory on their ftps to prevent political infighting among the projects members and contributors.

Comment

yeah - the base-work on the way to 13.2 is amazing. you can already check it out using factory. I am on suse since 9.3 and I can already say that 13.2 will give you the biggest improvement on a new release ever. The new Yast and Zypper are so much faster, everything is already stable in factory, KDE 3.14 is super-polished-fast now. Even the new network-tool (name is "wicked") works as an alternative to network manager for complex network environments.
                    I love it
                    Zypper was already awesome fast in 12.2. I feel that it has already outperformed yum (and its upcoming successor DNF) and urpmi by quite a margin.

Comment

Working...
                    X