Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI GLAMOR Benchmarks With X.Org Server 1.16

Phoronix: RadeonSI GLAMOR Benchmarks With X.Org Server 1.16

With X.Org Server 1.16 having landed in Ubuntu 14.10, it's time for some benchmarks comparing the 1.15 and 1.16 releases on Ubuntu while using the GLAMOR 2D acceleration library.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like the improvement in the Circles GtkPerf benchmark. There's also a large improvement in the Lines benchmark. Lines definitely matters as that was the same situation that was causing Open/Libre Office Calc to perform very poorly on large spreadsheets.

I've been running X.org 1.16 on my home machine for a few days now, and it seems pretty snappy (not that it was a dog before).

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      I like the improvement in the Circles GtkPerf benchmark. There's also a large improvement in the Lines benchmark. Lines definitely matters as that was the same situation that was causing Open/Libre Office Calc to perform very poorly on large spreadsheets.

I've been running X.org 1.16 on my home machine for a few days now, and it seems pretty snappy (not that it was a dog before).
      Fedora 21, X.org 1.16, AMD E-450 (Evergreen).

Switching from EXA to GLAMOR improves gtkperf by 20%.

Comment

Wow, those are some really nice gains.

O.o

Comment

Hmm, interesting. I'd be also interested in seeing how the performance of GLAMOR+Radeon has changed as a result of DRM and Mesa changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
            Fedora 21, X.org 1.16, AMD E-450 (Evergreen).

Did they also fix this big BUG that is in Fedora with glamor and gtk dropdowns.
            I use i3wm, but if I go into settings and press a pulldown menu from a gtk app, my screen freezes after a few second both screeens go black, and after 10 seconds or so it comes back. Pretty anoying.
            I use Glamor Fedora 20 Kabini Chip, so I guess its a glamor bug, not 100% shure was not so anoying that I cared enough to pin it down to that, but its very likely that that is the problem.

Also had 1-2 Xserver crashes over the last months becasue of that. Maybe somebody else reported this bug before me? Find fedora bugtracker pretty uncomfortable, would like a nntp group where I can post such reports, http-bugtrackers with email passwort bullshit... just is so unergonic that it hurts.

Comment

Trapezoidal improvements should far outway those of squares. It really should need no explaination.

Comment

First thought: HD 7950 and R7 260 x, umm, true 2d-office-chips. Weren't there any other chip available for that kind of test? (e.g. E- and C-Series kind of chips)
                Second thought: Ouch for the R7. / Glamor not yet ready / but is default. Umm.
                Third: Well, that new X version seems to move some things.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                  Awesome. Evergreen has a pretty strong 2d driver. I was under the impression that GLAMOR was meant to simplify code (no more 2d drivers for each chip), I didn't expect going through the whole openGL layer to be a performance win.

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  First thought: HD 7950 and R7 260 x, umm, true 2d-office-chips. Weren't there any other chip available for that kind of test? (e.g. E- and C-Series kind of chips)
                  Those don't have dedicated 2d units, either, so I'm not sure if that changes the results.

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  Second thought: Ouch for the R7. / Glamor not yet ready / but is default. Umm.
                  R7 260 and HD 7950 are using the same driver, so they're equally "ready".
                  The 7950 wins in memory intensive benchmarks - scroll, fill, copy. If you take a look at the memory bandwidths of HD 7950 and R7 260X, you might understand why.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                    Awesome. Evergreen has a pretty strong 2d driver. I was under the impression that GLAMOR was meant to simplify code (no more 2d drivers for each chip), I didn't expect going through the whole openGL layer to be a performance win.
                    It's basically untouched for years, and missing a lot of possible optimizations, because AMD doesn't care, and the hw asm used in there is too difficult for random contributors. If it was fully tuned, glamor couldn't stand a chance.

Comment

Working...
                    X