Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Launches The GTX 980: The High-End Maxwell Beauty

Phoronix: NVIDIA Launches The GTX 980: The High-End Maxwell Beauty

This morning NVIDIA lifted the lid on the GeForce GTX 970 and GTX 980 graphics cards as the new high-end offerings based on their extremely promising Maxwell architecture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Beyond the Metro games, I really can't see a use case that would warrant these on Linux.

We could really do with SteamOS gaining some more momentum now. Some more games using the higher end engines would be nice, CryEngine, Frostbyte or Unreal Engine 4 preferably.

Comment

X-Plane for ex. or any games on Wine. Michael, it would be interesting to see X-Plane performance tests.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        Beyond the Metro games, I really can't see a use case that would warrant these on Linux.

We could really do with SteamOS gaining some more momentum now. Some more games using the higher end engines would be nice, CryEngine, Frostbyte or Unreal Engine 4 preferably.
        If you have to much graphics horsepower or not enough demanding games there's always 4K for you. If that's not enough then there's 4K Surround. ;-)

Comment

Tesseract (which already has a PTS profile), or we could have a Stunt Rally profile.

Comment

Games are not the only applications that need enormous ammounts of "graphics horsepower". Blender is just a great example of one of these applications. (yes it is possible to render scenes with a pentium processor, but I wouldn't recommend that if you want to get stuff done ...).

Comment

Originally posted by Sverro2 View Post
              Games are not the only applications that need enormous ammounts of "graphics horsepower". Blender is just a great example of one of these applications. (yes it is possible to render scenes with a pentium processor, but I wouldn't recommend that if you want to get stuff done ...).
              According to detailed power consumption measurements by tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.de/geforce-g...241646-12.html), the energy efficiency improvements of the Maxwell GPUs almost only apply to gaming load. During intensive GPGPU calculations the power consumption significantly exceeds the TDP and there is little improvement compared to Kepler.

Comment

Originally posted by Lysius View Post
                According to detailed power consumption measurements by tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.de/geforce-g...241646-12.html), the energy efficiency improvements of the Maxwell GPUs almost only apply to gaming load. During intensive GPGPU calculations the power consumption significantly exceeds the TDP and there is little improvement compared to Kepler.
                Performance per watt is better.

Comment

Holy shit

TDP: 165W
                  Used power: 284W

That is a new low even for Nvidia. TDP is supposed to be the maximum power usage dammit.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Holy shit

TDP: 165W
                    Used power: 284W

That is a new low even for Nvidia. TDP is supposed to be the maximum power usage dammit.
                    TDP has never been maximum power usage.

Comment

Working...
                    X