Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.17 Has Basic Support For The Xbox One Controller

Phoronix: Linux 3.17 Has Basic Support For The Xbox One Controller

While I've written extensively about the Linux 3.17 kernel and its many new features, there is an interesting addition that was merged for Linux 3.17 that I missed out on noticing (or that of Anzwix) until today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As much as I despise the Xbone, besides maybe Killer Instinct, the controller is the only thing I'm envious of as a PS4 owner.

Might pick up one of these, I use a 360 pad on my PC frequently enough to warrant an upgrade. Good to know it works on Linux, though I want to see whether it works as expected on Steam Big Picture mode before shelling out.

Comment

That's annoying - I already bought a DS4 controller less than a month ago. I prefer the xbox controller layout, but the lack of drivers and lack of wireless connectivity to PCs was a turnoff to me. I think the DS4 is a much better controller overall for PCs though.

Comment

One year

Embarrassing that support came one year after the release of the console.

I wish Linux had support for this a year ago already...

Glad to finally see it supported though.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Embarrassing that support came one year after the release of the console.

I wish Linux had support for this a year ago already...

Glad to finally see it supported though.
          Embarassing? Windows just got support a couple months ago, through a driver you have to manually download from MajorNelson's website. Last I looked its still not available through Windows Update (presumably it will be soon as they last week announced a "PC" version). Its not baked in like it is now with Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            ? the lack of drivers and lack of wireless connectivity to PCs was a turnoff to me.
            I had the plan to buy a Xbox One wireless controller in the next time. So Bluetooth doesn't work? Does it work with the Xbox 360's? Or is this a different connectivity 'standard'?

Comment

They use a variation of WiFi-direct, which is just now starting to see adoption in modern mobile devices but not yet in PCs.

Last week's SteamOS beta has out-of-the-box support for Xbox One controllers as well as a variety of others, including rumble support, BTW:

linux Improved out-of-the-box support for DualShock 3 and 4 controllers; thanks to Frank Praznik for the pull request. Enabled force feedback for DualShock 3 and 4 controllers. Backported Xbox One controller support from upstream; thanks to Ted Mielczarek for the heads-up. Added force feedback support to Xbox One controllers. steamos-compositor Fixed Planetary Annihilation freezing on startup. Fixed an issue where the mouse cursor would sometimes have the wrong color.
              Last edited by Plagman; 22 September 2014, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kurros View Post
                Embarassing? Windows just got support a couple months ago, through a driver you have to manually download from MajorNelson's website. Last I looked its still not available through Windows Update (presumably it will be soon as they last week announced a "PC" version). Its not baked in like it is now with Linux.
                Well that is terribly embarrassingly on behalf of Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by Plagman View Post
                  They use a variation of WiFi-direct, which is just now starting to see adoption in modern mobile devices but not yet in PCs.

Last week's SteamOS beta has out-of-the-box support for Xbox One controllers as well as a variety of others, including rumble support, BTW:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ste...8473194388140/
                  Thank you, very interesting! So there seems to be an official receiver adapter for the PC for the 360's wireless controller but no receiver yet for the XBO's. Guess I have to wait a bit longer.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
                    I had the plan to buy a Xbox One wireless controller in the next time. So Bluetooth doesn't work? Does it work with the Xbox 360's? Or is this a different connectivity 'standard'?
                    AFAIK, the Xbox One controller doesn't use Bluetooth. It's RF based. Same with the 360 controller. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't work on the 360s either. The funny part is the DS4 does work on the 360. Even on Windows, you currently can only plug in a XB1 controller via USB.

Considering the 360 controller was considered the PC default for a while, you'd think MS would get it right this time around and make their controllers bluetooth based. I see no disadvantage to using BT aside from maybe royalty fees.

Comment

Working...
                    X