Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.14 Officially Released

Phoronix: GNOME 3.14 Officially Released

GNOME 3.14 has been officially released today as the latest major advancement to the GNOME Shell driven desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I tested the Wayland backend of Gnome 3.14 on Fedora 21 Alpha and the big issue is that the mouse acceleration gets so much slower (really slow and behaves weird) when over a window (!), when the pointer leaves the window (e.g. over the desktop) it's quick again.

When fixed the Wayland backed will become usable (for me), the rest of the bugs I encountered were less important.

Nouveau user.

Comment

I watched a video of it here. I know its not a nice thing to criticize someone else's work, especially when I can't do something equivalent or better, but I'm sincerely not saying this to be mean or start any sort of DE flame war: it really is hideous to look at. :-( I don't know what they are trying to do with so much padding and white space, but it looks like a complete mess.

I haven't tried Gnome 3 since the first iteration but it still doesn't look all that functional. Maybe I'm wrong! I understand that I should at least try it before being a smug armchair critic, but I can't help feeling that we've lost something fundamental in this new generation of DEs. Even Microsoft is backpedaling now and Windows 9 seems to be returning to a traditional metaphor. I use MATE and I'm happy that it's getting some attention recently with an official Ubuntu spin. I hope it will be continued to developed and maintained.

Sorry Gnome 3 team. :-( I don't mean to be a dick. I just think the whole project doesn't compare well to the great work of Gnome 2.

Comment

I wonder if Debian dev team will include this (and Wayland 1.6) before freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          I haven't tried Gnome 3 since the first iteration but it still doesn't look all that functional. Maybe I'm wrong! I understand that I should at least try it before being a smug armchair critic, but I can't help feeling that we've lost something fundamental in this new generation of DEs. Even Microsoft is backpedaling now and Windows 9 seems to be returning to a traditional metaphor. I use MATE and I'm happy that it's getting some attention recently with an official Ubuntu spin. I hope it will be continued to developed and maintained.
          Question, what do you mean by "it still doesn't look all that functional"? Don't you think that you are used to the old desktop environment hence MATE? You can use Gnome Classic session (default in RHEL7 and CentOS7) which is nothing more than an extended Gnome Shell.

Comment

I watched a video of it here. I know its not a nice thing to criticize someone else's work, especially when I can't do something equivalent or better, but I'm sincerely not saying this to be mean or start any sort of DE flame war: it really is hideous to look at. :-( I don't know what they are trying to do with so much padding and white space, but it looks like a complete mess.

Sorry Gnome 3 team. :-( I don't mean to be a dick. I just think the whole project doesn't compare well to the great work of Gnome 2.
            Personally, I loathed Gnome 3 at the beginning but I find myself to be very, very happy with it. search-based application launching is super quick, and the shell mostly gets out of my way. If I want to find a file to open it, I can just search it in the dash. They need to turn down some of the padding: on 1080p screens it's fine but on smaller resolutions the padding is just too much and needs manual tweaking.

Also, the extensions for gnome shell are absolutely amazing. They're braindead-easy to install and you can really customize quite a bit of the experience. I find dash to dock and appkeys (unity/win7-like window switching with super key) to be essential, and my workflow is pretty rad with it. Animations are smooth (you can remove them or speed them up with extensions) and performance is great. I like a lot of the Gnome core apps that have been updated, too: Simple but functional. I can be pretty sure that they'll work well. Thing was, gnome 2 was riddled with all sorts of bugs left and right. Gnome 3 in recent times has had very few that I've hit: They've solidified the codebase very well (unfortunately, that resulted in removal of some features I really liked, like transparent terminals. I believe they have plans on re-implementing it).

It's not for everyone, though. I could care less about things like the app-drawers and I wish that they'd turn down that goddamn padding! Not talking about the header bars, those are very good at saving space by combining the element widgets and headers..... it's the 'normal' headerbars that are just too freaking huge. I typically reduce it from 16px to 6px in /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
              I wonder if Debian dev team will include this (and Wayland 1.6) before freeze.
              Debian will indeed include Gnome 3.14. I don't know about wayland 1.6, but I'm gonna guess so.

Comment

If you're worried about white space you should read this http://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2014/08/...ce-2009-or-so/

Comment

Originally posted by drspinderwalf View Post
                  Debian will indeed include Gnome 3.14. I don't know about wayland 1.6, but I'm gonna guess so.
                  That makes sense since Gnome 3.14 is designed to utilize wayland 1.6. Wayland 1.7 will not be released until after the Jessie freeze which is too bad because a stable interface for xdg-shell did not land in release 1.6.

Comment

Well, everybody has their own tastes that is the nice thing bout Linux. If you dont like gnome there is KDE or mate or Cinnamon etc.. Windows you got 1 UI mac too really..

I on the other hand grew to love gnome. I love the direction they are going. First I didnt like it but it has grown on me the UI is clean the workflow makes sense. Granted I didnt like the thicker top border padding or whatever its callled but i switched the theme to numix and Its lightyears better too bad that isnt the default theme... Either way I like the direction but that is personal choice

Comment

Working...
                    X