Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUSE Publishes More GCC Patches For AMD's HSA Architecture

Phoronix: SUSE Publishes More GCC Patches For AMD's HSA Architecture

AMD's trying hard to make HSA of benefit to Linux users in 2014 and they're making lots of inroads. Helping AMD along the way with the Linux raising of Heterogeneous System Architecture is SUSE...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news! This got me infinitely more interested in HSA.

Comment

Now just waiting a better xf86-video-ati to buy an APU

Comment

Originally posted by souenzzo View Post
        How is the current xf86-video-ati lacking for you?

Comment

Quick question: Why does HSA need an intermediate language of it's own if it's supposed to be a hardware feature? Or is HSA more of an API/whatever like OpenGL/OpenCL?

I'm supremely confused by this...

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            Why does HSA need an intermediate language of it's own if it's supposed to be a hardware feature? Or is HSA more of an API/whatever like OpenGL/OpenCL?
            HSA is a combination of hardware features/standards (fine-grained SVM, usermode command queues, platform coherency) and a cross-vendor set of hardware and software API standards (IR, device commands, runtime API, memory models). The APIs are intended primarily for use by language runtimes rather than applications.

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              HSA is a combination of hardware features/standards (fine-grained SVM, usermode command queues, platform coherency) and a cross-vendor set of hardware and software API standards (IR, device commands, runtime API, memory models). The APIs are intended primarily for use by language runtimes rather than applications.

http://www.hsafoundation.com/three-c...are-available/
              Let's say I ignore that link because it's after 3 am and I don't feel like reading a hardware spec doc... are you saying I wouldn't be able to benefit from HSA by just using, say, OpenCL? That I'd have to use OpenCL AND this specific API/etc?

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
                How is the current xf86-video-ati lacking for you?
                Don't work on my HD6670 (tons of bugs/gnome shell slower then intel HD3000)
                Don't work on my HD4250 (gnome shell slower then intel HD3000, slow gaming performance)
                I cant get OpenCL on any of my GPU's (no exacly xf86-video-ati)

But I have tested a sempron 2xxx (soket AM1) and xf86-video-ati looks nicer on newer APU...

Comment

Wait a bit and it will likely go away completely. It's after all only the X11 component of the open source AMD/ATi hardware driver stack and even as such may end up replaced by a more generic driver when 2D accel will no longer be done with EXA.

Comment

Don't work on my HD6670 (tons of bugs/gnome shell slower then intel HD3000)
                    Don't work on my HD4250 (gnome shell slower then intel HD3000, slow gaming performance)
                    I cant get OpenCL on any of my GPU's (no exacly xf86-video-ati)

But I have tested a sempron 2xxx (soket AM1) and xf86-video-ati looks nicer on newer APU...
                    None of those is done in 2d / xf86-video-ati. Gnome shell is a GL compositor, games use GL -> you want mesa.

Comment

Working...
                    X