Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.18 Should Let Radeon GPUs Clock Higher For OC'ed Cards

Phoronix: Linux 3.18 Should Let Radeon GPUs Clock Higher For OC'ed Cards

AMD's Alex Deucher sent in another Radeon drm-next patch series this week with some more last-minute tweaks for the Linux kernel's next merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm I never noticed this - I have my GPUs manually overclocked via BIOS changes, but I never bothered to confirm in linux if the clock settings are the same. It'll be interesting to see if this affects me.

Comment

Hopefully this will make my PowerColor Radeon HD7870 Myst more than a 190? paperweight when I'm on leave at the end of this year ...
      I'd love to have a more power efficient card than my HD6970 that works under FOSS Linux drivers, especially since that means I don't have to buy a new card immediately when I buy into DDR4 systems (probably going to be late Broadwell, Skylake or - AMD, I'm hoping for a comeback in the CPU space - SkyBridge).
      I also hope to be able to ditch Windows on that rig.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
        Hopefully this will make my PowerColor Radeon HD7870 Myst more than a 190? paperweight when I'm on leave at the end of this year ...
        I'd love to have a more power efficient card than my HD6970 that works under FOSS Linux drivers, especially since that means I don't have to buy a new card immediately when I buy into DDR4 systems (probably going to be late Broadwell, Skylake or - AMD, I'm hoping for a comeback in the CPU space - SkyBridge).
        They've snagged their head CPU guy back from Apple, their expecting to put out a newly architectured high performance CPU at the end of next year (Last i heard)
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Strange, seems to already be okay as of Linux 3.15 for R9 270:
          Code:
          uvd    vclk: 0 dclk: 0
          power level 0    sclk: 30000 mclk: 15000 vddc: 900 vddci: 850 pcie gen: 2
          uvd    vclk: 0 dclk: 0
          power level 3    sclk: 94500 mclk: 140000 vddc: 1188 vddci: 1000 pcie gen: 2
          This one is factory-OCed R9 270, it is 945MHz core and 1400 (5600) MHz GDDR5. Seems to be perfect match with vendor specs. IIRC, reference R9 270 design is just 925MHz, so if driver does not lies about pm info, it already got things right.

Comment

Hopefully this will make my PowerColor Radeon HD7870 Myst more than a 190€ paperweight when I'm on leave at the end of this year ...
            What distro? Are you sure DPM is enabled in your system? Did you try googling for similar problems?
            try googling:
            "some error message" "your card model here" site:bugs.freedesktop.org

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
              What distro? Are you sure DPM is enabled in your system? Did you try googling for similar problems?
              try googling:
              "some error message" "your card model here" site:bugs.freedesktop.org
              The problem is, I don't get any error messages, the screen is just blank and switching VTs via Ctrl-Alt-F* does not work.
              Sadly, few people own Tahiti-LE cards and almost all of them are Windows users.

Comment

Michael, have any such cards to benchmark?

Comment

The problem is, I don't get any error messages, the screen is just blank and switching VTs via Ctrl-Alt-F* does not work.
                  Hint: if things gone dire and you can't see anything, logs still could contain valuable data. So if you can reboot and boot at least somehow (maybe resorting to VGA mode temporarily, etc) - you can examine logs to see if there're something useful. Most notably, kernel log.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Michael, have any such cards to benchmark?
                    I don't remember for sure offhand if any of my cards were factory-overclocked of recent generations on the AMD side... I don't believe so.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X