Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980: The Best GPU For Linux Gamers

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980: The Best GPU For Linux Gamers

Earlier this month NVIDIA launched the GeForce GTX 970 and GTX 980 as their highest-end offerings based on their Maxwell architecture. Since the GTX 750 series debut I have been anxious to see Maxwell succeed Kepler in the high-end space and finally last week I got hands on time with the GTX 980. As long as you are not committed to using pure open-source graphics drivers, the GeForce GTX 980 is the best you can get as a Linux gamer/enthusiast for high performance graphics for ending out 2014.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Holy crap that's a pretty big performance gain all around. It's weird because in Windows, the 980 falls behind the 780Ti in many cases. Clearly a better GPU for linux (though, we don't know yet how it performs compared to Windows). Nice to hear there were not issues either. I look forward to some of the other 900 series reviews.

Comment

Nvidia still doesn't officially support OSS drivers so it's still a no buy.

Comment

I picked up a cheap Maxwell based 750 Ti to replace my GTX 465. While its faster, the more amazing feature is its sipping of power! NVIDIA is really onto something!

Comment

Cool Story Bro

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          Cool Story Bro.

Cool Story, Bro.

Bro, Cool Story.

Cool Story Bro.

Comment

Have you tried suspending the system? According to the release notes of 343.22 this is something that might not work reliably at the moment.
            Known issues with this release:
            Resuming from suspend may not be reliable on GeForce GTX 9xx boards in some configurations.
            And unfortunately the article is missing the power consumption values for the LuxMark test runs, which I would be really interested in.

Comment

What's the power draw when you run something like Furmark or OpenCL? Another reveiewer found it to be... high.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                Indeed. This is actually a terrible gpu for linux, gamers or otherwise.

Comment

Smells like AMD has to drop their prices for the 290 and 290X. ElOhEl!

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                    Smells like AMD has to drop their prices for the 290 and 290X. ElOhEl!
                    Probably not. In Windows, the 290X is pretty competitive.

Comment

Working...
                    X