Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Jessie Might Get Rid Of The kFreeBSD Port

Phoronix: Debian Jessie Might Get Rid Of The kFreeBSD Port

For years there's been the Debian GNU/kFreeBSD port that ships the same Debian GNU user-land as Debian GNU/Linux but replaces the Linux kernel with that of the FreeBSD kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

well probably only 3 dudes uses kfreebsd and prolly 2 of them were maintaining it anyway

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
      well probably only 3 dudes uses kfreebsd and prolly 2 of them were maintaining it anyway
      By now only 2, one of them died of cancer yesterday in Guatemala.

Comment

I remember 1 debian dev attacking systemd, cuz their bsd spin would not be compatible...

anyway this bsd spin is just a distraction imo. Debian should focus on the needs of its majority of users, and gladly they're doing so.

Comment

Oh, that sucks. Back to Freebsd i guess...

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
            anyway this bsd spin is just a distraction imo. Debian should focus on the needs of its majority of users, and gladly they're doing so.
            Please, enter to http://debian.org and tell me what says in the banner below "debian". It's not for majorities, it's for everybody, or maybe was, because since systemd adoption...

Comment

It just won't be an official release. That does not mean that it will be dropped or removed from Debian. It will just be another port that won't get an official release, just like several others in the Debian ecosphere.

Another clickbait headline from Phoronix, nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by malkavian View Post
                Please, enter to http://debian.org and tell me what says in the banner below "debian". It's not for majorities, it's for everybody, or maybe was, because since systemd adoption...
                nice attempt to troll but the article clearly states nobody uses it and the few that did stopped caring and there aren't enough maintainers to keep going as official release, pretty much the same problem the HURD spin have(and as HURD is not exactly an awesome experience either, so most BSDers will stick to vanilla freebsd and ports)

about your weak attempt of trolling with debian.org banner it doesn't say either "we will maintain it forever even if you are too lazy fuck to help" or "software maintain itself", etc. So if it affects your life so much get your fat ass out of that couch and find a way to help maintain it because it won't magically happen.

in a serious topic if bsders stop whining and actually take actions to pull that kernel out of the 80's with the same strength they waste whining(in place where nobody actually cares), bsd today will be the most advanced kernel ever devised

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  about your weak attempt of trolling with debian.org banner it doesn't say either "we will maintain it forever even if you are too lazy fuck to help" or "software maintain itself", etc. So if it affects your life so much get your fat ass out of that couch and find a way to help maintain it because it won't magically happen.
                  I don't use the BSD port. I prefer Linux kernel. I just want to refute that debian team might only think in mayorities. Obviously if there isn't enought developers to mantain it, couldn't be mantained as official, but, altought related, that's another topic.

Comment

Originally posted by malkavian View Post
                    Please, enter to http://debian.org and tell me what says in the banner below "debian".
                    A marketing slogan, no more no less. Debian might be an open and non-commercial project, but it doesn't mean that their advertising should be taken at face value, as 100% truth without exaggeration or meaningless fluff.

Comment

Working...
                    X