Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 0.8 Works On Less ABI Breakage, Touchspots, Responsiveness

Phoronix: Mir 0.8 Works On Less ABI Breakage, Touchspots, Responsiveness

While Ubuntu 14.10 on the desktop isn't using Mir by default, Mir 0.8.0 is being prepared for release by Canonical and it has a number of interesting changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"More details can be found via the Mir Bazaar repository."

Hahaha. They need to just give up on Bazaar already.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post

They should give up Mir too! Fedora has already Wayland, and in a year it will be official.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post

But then they need to rewire their whole infra.

And I mean WHOLE infra.

Hardly justifiable.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          But then they need to rewire their whole infra.

And I mean WHOLE infra.

Hardly justifiable.
          It's not only justifiable, it will soon be a requirement. You can't build stuff on an EOL, dead product. Especially not when there are thriving OSS replacements

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
            They should give up Mir too! Fedora has already Wayland, and in a year it will be official.
            Fedora has Wayland since F17 or so in the default installation.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              Fedora has Wayland since F17 or so in the default installation.
              I meant in some more user friendly way. Right now you can choose to log in Gnome Shell via Wayland right from the GUI login manager.

Comment

Hope it will eventually like this:
                Canonical gaves up- nobody wants Mir and nobody wants write apps to this "display server/compositor" so Canonical gives the best what they developed with Mir to Wayland. That is actually the only reasonable way I see, Wayland app support is very poor but let's look on Mir-support none.

Comment

not true

Originally posted by maslascher View Post
                  Canonical gaves up- nobody wants Mir and nobody wants write apps to this "display server/compositor" so Canonical gives the best what they developed with Mir to Wayland. That is actually the only reasonable way I see, Wayland app support is very poor but let's look on Mir-support none.
                  look to the apps for ubuntu touch. wayland in fedora? not works well yet, we will stuck with x one more year

Comment

Originally posted by maslascher View Post
                    Wayland App support is fine, Qt and GTK already have support for it as well as SDL which means that for most apps they'll already run, the problem is on the compositor end, as well as applications that use nonstandard toolkits like VCL (LibreOffice) and XUL(Firefox) which are then wrapping around desktop specific toolkits and in Linux's case GTK2

Comment

Working...
                    X