Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Dominates With OpenCL On Linux

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Dominates With OpenCL On Linux

Earlier this week I published the Linux review of the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 high-end Maxwell graphics card. While there were several OpenCL benchmarks included in that review, most of the tests focused upon the Linux OpenGL performance. For those that requested more GPGPU benchmarks, in this article are many Linux OpenCL compute benchmarks of the GTX 980 and other high-end AMD and NVIDIA GPUs from recent generations.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So Maxwell pretty much nullifies having to buy AMD anymore for OpenCL?

Comment

Originally posted by Vidar View Post
      So Maxwell pretty much nullifies having to buy AMD anymore for OpenCL?
      surprisingly, looks like it to me. So I guess ATI is only if you need a spare space heater nowadays...

Comment

When this thing in reduced in price and comes in a smaller fab. and lower energy use (like what later 9800's became: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143169) I'll buy it.

Sounds like a great card, once it gets cut down treatment the 9800 got later in life.

Comment

I'm actually probably going to wait for the Pascal line for my next "big" card. I have a 770 which still does just about everything I throw at it for Linux. Even on Windows, it still isn't pushed around by pretty much anything.
          I'm thinking we're coming up on a period of time where graphics aren't going to be able to keep up with hardware instead of the other way around for once. I look forward to a time where I can have cool looking graphics with something that isn't running 100% all the time that heats up my entire room.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
            I'm actually probably going to wait for the Pascal line for my next "big" card. I have a 770 which still does just about everything I throw at it for Linux. Even on Windows, it still isn't pushed around by pretty much anything.
            I'm thinking we're coming up on a period of time where graphics aren't going to be able to keep up with hardware instead of the other way around for once. I look forward to a time where I can have cool looking graphics with something that isn't running 100% all the time that heats up my entire room.
            Higher resolution display panels will probably start to come down in price and those resolutions will tax GPUs for awhile it seems like.

Comment

What is the highest OpenCL version NVidia currently supports?

Don't tell me it's still OpenCL 1.1 only.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Larabel
                MandelbulbGPU is another OpenCL test case that failed with the Catalyst Linux release tested.
                Of course it crashes, you call exit(0) inside a glutDisplayFunc(...) callback. This is undefined behavior. Simple fix: Use glutLeaveMainLoop instead and everything works fine. The same goes for JuliaGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  What is the highest OpenCL version NVidia currently supports?

Don't tell me it's still OpenCL 1.1 only.
                  Nvidia does in fact offer better OpenCL-support, not only performance wise, but also in standards compliance. AMD does however advertise higher version support, but there is a big difference in claiming support and actually providing support. This is also true for OpenGL on AMD, they still struggle with standards compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
                    Nvidia does in fact offer better OpenCL-support, not only performance wise, but also in standards compliance.
                    AMD does however advertise higher version support, but there is a big difference in claiming support and actually providing support.
                    I don't get your argument.
                    This sounds like you're blaming AMD for NVidia not having OpenCL >= 1.2 support.

We all know it's just a political thing NVidia does not provide support for newer OpenCL version.
                    And this is bad. No matter how great their OpenCL 1.1 support is.

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
                    This is also true for OpenGL on AMD, they still struggle with standards compliance.
                    Wait, I thought many problems arise because AMDs OpenGL implementation is stricter wrt the standard.

Comment

Working...
                    X