Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Limitations Of Wayland On Fedora 21

Phoronix: The Limitations Of Wayland On Fedora 21

With Fedora 21 there's the GNOME 3.14 Wayland session that's starting to become day-to-day usable but isn't yet complete. There's also a long list of known applications that don't yet play well outside of X11 and other shortcomings...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone else have problems launching the GNOME-Wayland session on Arch Linux?
    Is it related to my video driver (Intel via mesa-git)?

Comment

You probably didn't install xorg-server-xwayland, which should be dependency of the mutte 3.14 package in testing, since otherwise the Wayland session won't start.

Comment

I don't have any problem with rezising xwayland applications in gnome wayland?

My biggest problem has been with inputs. Somtimes they start to behave strange after som hours and I need to logout and login again.
        Last edited by Akka; 09 October 2014, 12:36 PM.

Comment

i'm able to play most games just fine with Xwayland even steam games.

No.1 Wayland bug stopping most any one from playing fps games any one have a fix for it??

Adding pointer locking bug as a blocker for this one, as it might be possible to implement warping support in Xwayland using the pointer lock protocol.

Comment

Every app in Gnome on Wayland uses XWayland even gnome-system-monitor. From what I saw mouse scrolling doesn't work in gnome "app list".

Comment

Originally posted by maslascher View Post
              Every app in Gnome on Wayland uses XWayland even gnome-system-monitor. From what I saw mouse scrolling doesn't work in gnome "app list".
              That's because GDK_BACKEND and CLUTTER_BACKEND aren't set to "wayland". They are still figuring out how they can use the native backend by default and fallback to the X11 backend only when needed. Running everything with the X backend always works of course. 99% of GTK3 apps should work just fine with GDK_BACKEND=wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                Does anyone else have problems launching the GNOME-Wayland session on Arch Linux?
                Is it related to my video driver (Intel via mesa-git)?
                Does it go black, have a blinking cursor for a couple of seconds, then sort of crash back to into gdm?

If that's what you're getting then no, you're not alone. And no, it's not related to Intel, because that's what I'm getting with the radeon driver.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  That's because GDK_BACKEND and CLUTTER_BACKEND aren't set to "wayland". They are still figuring out how they can use the native backend by default and fallback to the X11 backend only when needed. Running everything with the X backend always works of course. 99% of GTK3 apps should work just fine with GDK_BACKEND=wayland.
                  I guess that are environment variables? Would it work to edit the .desktop files, like

Exec=my-cool-app

to

Exec=env GDK_BACKEND=wayland CLUTTER_BACKEND=wayland my-cool-app

?

Comment

Gnome's Wayland session is also useless with my laptop as there's no tap-to-click support at all.
                    No one tap == left click.
                    No two taps == right click.
                    No three taps == middle click.

I did open an issue on Gnome's bugzilla and recieved the answer that these actions will only be available with 3.16, as an Arch user (and not a developer) this seems to me as a pure limitation of the strict release schedule of Gnome, I wish they would have more flexible release schedule that won't force users to wait 6 months for new features.

Comment

Working...
                    X