Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibWSM: Wayland Security Modules For Better Wayland Security

Phoronix: LibWSM: Wayland Security Modules For Better Wayland Security

When X.Org Foundation board member Martin Peres isn't busy hacking on the Nouveau open-source NVIDIA driver, he's often focusing on software security related work through his studies. One of his recent endeavors in trying to improve Linux security is working on a library for Wayland Security Modules (libWSM) to support security decision making on Wayland-based graphic stacks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does the graphics compositor need a security system? Seems a little unnecessary..... other parts of the system should catch a bad actor before the compositor tries to open a window for it...... or do I not understand this issue? Can someone make sense of this for me?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Does the graphics compositor need a security system? Seems a little unnecessary..... other parts of the system should catch a bad actor before the compositor tries to open a window for it...... or do I not understand this issue? Can someone make sense of this for me?
      How do you guarantee the dialog box asking your your root password was really created by your package manager?

Comment

Malicious applications don't advertise themselves as so

Unless you lock your system completely with SELinux (with a policy for every app, unlike in fedora) and then consider every application used by the user as being part of the trusted code-base, then you may be right.

However, applications can execute arbitrary code sent by a (remote) user. If apps have more privileges than they should, an attacker can use these privileges to gain more of them until becoming root.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          How do you guarantee the dialog box asking your your root password was really created by your package manager?
          Oh, dialog windows. I forgot about them. That would be a pretty big security hole if dialog windows popped up for a remote user, huh? Ok, this seems legit then. Carry on and what what.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            By checking the code and then compiling by my self?

Comment

Security is a tricky subject:
              http://it-beta.slashdot.org/story/14...ing-real-gifts

Comment

No Live Stream?

Comment

Aside from the mentioned faked box, the following attacks are also of interest:
                  - at the moment, any application can see what every other applications display on the screen. This should not be the case except for applications whitelisted by the compositor, for screenshoting or remote session plugins.
                  - Same, for inputs (manage very tightly with display). Not sure what the status is for X, but it's possible that inputs can be intercepted by programs that do not have focus.

I recommend the following reads:
                  It’s been more than 3 years since my last security-related blog post. One might think I lost interest but the reality is that I just suck at …

(was mentioned in http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTYxMDA )

Comment

This seems to be related to SE linux.

Judging from the picture, what it does is prevent different apps (which might have different security ratings) from being able to see each other. For example, if the internet browser has a security flaw, this would prevent it from taking screenshots of other programs (for example, your accounting software, LibreOffice, etc).

Comment

Working...
                    X