Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLAMOR Is Making Linux 2D Performance More Glamorous

Phoronix: GLAMOR Is Making Linux 2D Performance More Glamorous

Keith Packard of Intel and the X.Org Server maintainer presented at this week's XDC2014 Bordeaux conference about the state of GLAMOR, accelerating X.Org's 2D over OpenGL / OpenGL ES in a device-independent manner rather than each hardware driver requiring custom 2D acceleration code-paths...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, coming up with that headline must have taken hours of brainstorming!

Comment

Legit question about GLAMOR:
      Are the developers planning on adding Mantle to the supported 3D acceleration options (on top of OpenGL and OpenGL ES)? I feel like by simply using Mantle instead of OpenGL/ES, you would instantly get a performance boost over the OGL method, let alone what would be possible with a bit of "optimizing".

Mantle is supposed to be released later this winter as an open standard, and I figure they'll release it with a fanfare by including support in both Catalyst AND Radeon, and by extension, Gallium, thus by extension, Nouveau. That's 3 out of 5 main drivers already with support (and I'm sure there are PLENTY of NVidia cards that would support the necessary features of Mantle, so it surely wouldn't be a wasted effort to add it to Nouveau).

Since nobody knows how long OGL-Next is going to take, and even if it comes a year from now there's a good chance most of it is based off of Mantle anyway, so NVidia and Intel will probably take the time to implement a good chunk of it into their drivers, and until then can continue using the OpenGL fallback.

idk, just an idea :P

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        Legit question about GLAMOR:
        Are the developers planning on adding Mantle to the supported 3D acceleration options (on top of OpenGL and OpenGL ES)? I feel like by simply using Mantle instead of OpenGL/ES, you would instantly get a performance boost over the OGL method, let alone what would be possible with a bit of "optimizing".

Mantle is supposed to be released later this winter as an open standard, and I figure they'll release it with a fanfare by including support in both Catalyst AND Radeon, and by extension, Gallium, thus by extension, Nouveau. That's 3 out of 5 main drivers already with support (and I'm sure there are PLENTY of NVidia cards that would support the necessary features of Mantle, so it surely wouldn't be a wasted effort to add it to Nouveau).

Since nobody knows how long OGL-Next is going to take, and even if it comes a year from now there's a good chance most of it is based off of Mantle anyway, so NVidia and Intel will probably take the time to implement a good chunk of it into their drivers, and until then can continue using the OpenGL fallback.

idk, just an idea :P
        Good idea. Keep watching which GPUs will be the best HW for Mantle and where we will get the new AMD's radeon unified kernel module.

Comment

Working...
        X