Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Direct3D Command Stream Not Landing Anytime Soon

Phoronix: Wine Direct3D Command Stream Not Landing Anytime Soon

As a continuation of the article earlier about a kernel-like staging tree for Wine, there's one mailing list post in particular that deserves its own post... It appears for at least the time being that the Direct3D command stream patches have been stalled from being mainlined...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Guess it's a good thing wine is fading into obscurity as more mainstream programs come to linux natively, as wine is heavily prioritizing what OSX users want the most.

Comment

This situation appears some time ago, stefan dosinger talk about this

I am updating the CSMT patchset sporadically. It is always manual work, and every now and then there are more complicated conflicts, so please forgive occasional slowness.

I am working on upstreaming this work, but we decided to move d3d resource management to a d3d11-like model before we merge the command stream things. This takes a while, as every change raises new questions about how some things work in ddraw, d3d8, d3d9, d3d10 and d3d11.
      For this Wine 1.8 not be launched for now, however directx10 have many progress (mainly henri verbeet)

On D2D needs more work but this changes when stay ready give interesting things like d3d10 (maybe can possible test some titles with this like just cause 2, battlefield 3 and many others)

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        Guess it's a good thing wine is fading into obscurity as more mainstream programs come to linux natively, as wine is heavily prioritizing what OSX users want the most.
        Codeweavers seems to be the primary funded source of wine, and considering most of their userbase are Mac users, that's where most of the attention will be drawn. It seems to me most of the volunteer developers of wine are linux users.

But yes, fading into obscurity is nice. LibreOffice has really been competitive (it's perfectly fine for the average person, though a bit lacking for professional use), Blender is pretty polished, lots of games are getting native linux support, there are plenty of great native developer IDEs, and so on. The only thing linux is seriously lacking in are media related applications - music, movies, photos, 2D animation, etc. I'm pretty sure if Adobe supported linux, Microsoft will see some serious drop in sales.

Really gets me to wonder why Adobe has been such a pain. There are plenty of CAD programs that managed to get ported, why is it so hard for them?
        Last edited by schmidtbag; 10 October 2014, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Codeweavers seems to be the primary funded source of wine, and considering most of their userbase are Mac users, that's where most of the attention will be drawn. It seems to me most of the volunteer developers of wine are linux users.

But yes, fading into obscurity is nice. LibreOffice has really been competitive (it's perfectly fine for the average person, though a bit lacking for professional use), Blender is pretty polished, lots of games are getting native linux support, there are plenty of great native developer IDEs, and so on. The only thing linux is seriously lacking in are media related applications - music, movies, photos, 2D animation, etc. I'm pretty sure if Adobe supported linux, Microsoft will see some serious drop in sales.

Really gets me to wonder why Adobe has been such a pain. There are plenty of CAD programs that managed to get ported, why is it so hard for them?
          We recently got lightworks, didn't we? I don't know much about video editing, but isn't it supposed to be professional grade?

Ardour is a fabulous DAW and I use it all the time. If you're talking about music players, I can't think of a good one on any OS anywhere. They're all bloaty and terrible at sorting. Mind, I'm not some psycho that thinks everything should be as lightweight as XFCE, but -DAYUM- nearly every music player I've ever used has either been so bloated it's unusable or so paltry I might as well use a file manager. I also don't get how all music is lumped into this title/artist/album/year collection when there's far more metadata for anything that isn't pop (although pop has a lot of it, too). As much as I like MusicBrainz's ideas, most of the more in-depth genres to be tagged (like classical, for instance) are a nightmare. It's all a mess and there's little practiced standardization.

And, while I have absolutely no proof to back this claim up, I seriously believe that Adobe is paid by MS or Apple (or both) to keep their stuff from working on Linux. Imagine all the people that would flock to, say, Ubuntu, since there would be basically nothing that designers would need at that point (iPhone sync and whatnot is another story, though). Like any good conspiracy theory, it aligns with history: Adobe quickly retracted their consideration of porting to Linux a few years back for some canned response of a reason.

On the topic of D3D in wine.... I would really like to have it. There are a lot of games that are not going to ever come to linux that would greatly benefit to this. It's a long road until we get nearly all games ported, and the future with all these new graphics APIs is a little murky. Between now and world domination (if it comes), that's an awful lot of games to miss out on.
          Last edited by drspinderwalf; 11 October 2014, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

AFAIK Adobe's officialy reasoning is "our code is a pile of spaghetti shit full of platform specific hacks and we'd have to rewrite it from scratch." I've heard the OSX port of photoshop is really slow/unstable/buggy.
            On the topic of D3D in wine.... I would really like to have it. There are a lot of games that are not going to ever come to linux that would greatly benefit to this. It's a long road until we get nearly all games ported, and the future with all these new graphics APIs is a little murky. Between now and world domination (if it comes), that's an awful lot of games to miss out on.
            Really, the gap is a _lot_ smaller than it used to be. 95%+ of DX9 and older games run fine in WINE, the only problem now is games that are DX10(almost zero)/DX11 only without linux ports. And honestly, that's not that many of them and it's getting smaller by the day thanks to Valve. The situation is vastly better than it was even just a year ago.

Comment

Nowadays I just use wine to play predecessors to games coming out now for Linux. Eg. The Witcher and Borderlands.

Oh, and Elder Scrolls 3-5. I'm a sucker for those sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                AFAIK Adobe's officialy reasoning is "our code is a pile of spaghetti shit full of platform specific hacks and we'd have to rewrite it from scratch." I've heard the OSX port of photoshop is really slow/unstable/buggy.

Really, the gap is a _lot_ smaller than it used to be. 95%+ of DX9 and older games run fine in WINE, the only problem now is games that are DX10(almost zero)/DX11 only without linux ports. And honestly, that's not that many of them and it's getting smaller by the day thanks to Valve. The situation is vastly better than it was even just a year ago.
                My wife has used photoshop CS2-6 on her mac for years without any issue. Though I won't disagree that their products are just terrible.

I also don't disbelieve you on the games statement but I will point out that I personally have about a 60% success rate with gaming on wine. It's likely the types of games I play (many of them non-AAA/mainstream, I'm such a hip girl) or games from yesteryear, but I can pretty reliably hit some nasty bugs or performance issues that just make the whole experience pretty miserable (long time Nvidia blob user, though I'm so thrilled that I can soon change that with all these fantastic intel chips). That's not to say that wine isn't a great program that makes life in Linux great, but it's a rarity that I can install a game with complete confidence that it will work without a hitch. And every once in a while an older game will have some strange area or setting that has huge performance drops that shouldn't happen on a GTX560. Some of that is most certainly the compositor's fault, but my tests without running one still has those quirks.

All in all, it'd just be great to get all that lovely optimization pasta.

Comment

CSMT is working: http://imgur.com/a/NuTrl ( Witcher 2 improved _a lot_ in the mean time BTW)

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                    CSMT is working: http://imgur.com/a/NuTrl ( Witcher 2 improved _a lot_ in the mean time BTW)
                    Curious that there was no test there for Wine without CSMT.

Comment

Working...
                    X