Like The Other BSDs, DragonFlyBSD Lags Greatly Behind With Its GPU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like The Other BSDs, DragonFlyBSD Lags Greatly Behind With Its GPU Support

Phoronix: Like The Other BSDs, DragonFlyBSD Lags Greatly Behind With Its GPU Support

Besides FreeBSD having poor open-source graphics driver support, DragonFlyBSD is in a similar boat with regard to their port of the Linux DRM/KMS drivers. In fact, it's gone from porting the driver to DragonFlyBSD to more like porting DragonFlyBSD to be more compatible with the Linux APIs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's why Greg Kroah Hartman said: "Mathew Dillon should be making Linux better. Instead he's trying to make DragonflyBSD more like Linux". And I agree with him. Instead of making the DragonflyBSD like Linux, replace it with Linux and your driver, porting and performance problems will be no longer an issue.

One thing I like about DragonflyBSD over other BSDs (I still like it much less then Windows) is the they have embrace the GPLv3 that are using GCC 4.7.3 and have lots of GPL tightly intergrated into thier kernel such as Linux Kernel Threads (LKTs) which were abandoned by FreeBSD due to it being GPL. Also Linux fined grain locks rather then BSD giant locks.

But still, Mattew Dillon is still wasting his time as there is Linux. He should have joining it instead of contributing to fragmentation of the Open Source World.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_lesser View Post
      But still, Mattew Dillon is still wasting his time as there is Linux. He should have joining it instead of contributing to fragmentation of the Open Source World.
      If you said that about the FreeBSD kernel, I'd agree. But this one is interesting, as the kernel isn't monolithic. The hybrid kernel ansatz makes it interesting.

Comment

This user 'jake_lesser' is the same loser as 'Pawlerson', 'beetreetime', 'endman', etc, etc, etc... The now famous anti-BSD troll. Just take a look at his forums posts. Don't bother with him.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Besides FreeBSD having poor open-source graphics driver support, DragonFlyBSD is in a similar boat with regard to their port of the Linux DRM/KMS drivers.
          Not a big surprise, granted shitty project management is hallmark of BSDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
            This user 'jake_lesser' is the same loser as 'Pawlerson', 'beetreetime', 'endman', etc, etc, etc... The now famous anti-BSD troll. Just take a look at his forums posts. Don't bother with him.
            I guess it is clear now that you can add system25 to that list.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
              I guess it is clear now that you can add system25 to that list.
              I think 'beetreetime', 'endman', 'jake_lesser', 'Pawlerson', 'System25' are all sockpuppets of the same person.
              Just put them on your Ignore List and you are done.

Comment

I am not sure what exactly the point of this article was tbh.
                Sure DragonFlyBSD has not really focussed on graphics support but who cares? It supports many video cards flawlessly and if you want to run DragonFlyBSD to take advantage of some of its awesome features then you are probably quite able to get hold of the compatible hardware.
                What is with this obsession about nifty 3D acceleration, compositing WM and other effects that is plaguing open-source these days?

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
                  I think 'beetreetime', 'endman', 'jake_lesser', 'Pawlerson', 'System25' are all sockpuppets of the same person.
                  Just put them on your Ignore List and you are done.
                  You guys are LOL. Of course it is easier to suspect conspiracy rather than manage projects properly. I'm afraid you'll have a loooooooong list of "sockpuppets" who consider BSDish project management crap.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    What is with this obsession about nifty 3D acceleration, compositing WM and other effects that is plaguing open-source these days?
                    Here we have one more retarded BSDish view on graphics stacks. Can you dullards finally get one simple idea? These days GPUs are basically powerful and more or less generic number crunchers, usable for accelerating massively parallel computations, etc. Of course 3D is particular case of these, but its not the only possible use. Then bunch of powerful DMA hardware automations and somesuch to transfer huge piles of data from/to system memory, device to fire framebuffer to screen, etc without bothering system, fast dedicated local memory, etc. Actually GPUs are quite cool things to my taste. These are not longer old and boring fixed functions crap. They are programmable. Say, GPU can beat my powerful, 8-cores CPU by factor of 25 in some computations. Can you imagine that, dullard? TWENTY FIVE TIMES AS FAST as hi-end 8-cores CPU. Not to mention GDDR5 RAM bandwidth would exceed my system DDR3 bandwidth by about 10-15 times in most cases. Can you imagine about 180GigaBytes/second memory speed? Just some mid-range GPU with 256-bit bus and GDDR5. Why the heck I should be unable to use such an epic number crunchers to accelerate computations? (and maybe draw some fancy graphics as well, why not?).

World has not frickin stopped in your frickin' 80s and 90s, it continued to evolve and it happens without YOU.

So here we can see how project management differs:

- In Linux people tend to acknowledge: world has changed. Then there're efforts to put changes in good use to serve users. Powerful and modern DRM + KMS subsystem appears, which implements best techs (like DMA-baked buffers, etc) to make modern GPUs and other related hardware usable at full potential. Powerful and modern graphics (and computations) backend appears and basically changes the whole idea about how graphics stack should look like. Making it powerful, modern and damn logical.

- In BSD people tend to mumble some blatant bullshit like kpedersen did about "who needs 3d?" just to figure out 10 years later that world actually *needs* these features, up to degree nobody is going to support old drivers and not really cares about old hardware. Then they catch fire in da hole and urgently trying to uplift state of things. But it is too late - most users and devs just disregarded systems with totally fucked project management already. I'm kinda happy Mr. Torvalds shown these arrogant fucks how to do it right. Hopefully it explains why I consider BSDs project management RETARDED.
                    Last edited by System25; 12 October 2014, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X