Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrossOver 14.0 Makes Installing Windows Apps Easier

Phoronix: CrossOver 14.0 Makes Installing Windows Apps Easier

CodeWeavers has put out a major new release of their Wine-based CrossOver software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is that..... is that Ubuntu 9.10?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Is that..... is that Ubuntu 9.10?
      The picture is from
      CodeWeavers CrossOver Office v5.0

Published on 25 October 2005
      So it was probably 5.04/5.10, I don't remember offhand.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        So it was probably 5.04/5.10, I don't remember offhand.
        Looks like 5.10 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...elease_history

Last one which does not have Compiz by default
        Last edited by dungeon; 16 October 2014, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Default Ubuntu is damn ugly now as well...but back then...it was simply unbearable to look at!!!

Comment

iTunes?

Anyone that follow WINE closely know how close they're getting to iTunes support? There's been more than a few people that were great candidates for Linux but for iTunes and dual booting or virtualization just wouldn't work.

Comment

Who would buy CrossOver when you have Wine? I mean you can't even get CSMT with CrossOver.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                Who would buy CrossOver when you have Wine? I mean you can't even get CSMT with CrossOver.
                Primarily Mac OS users who value the ease of installation and commercial support.

Comment

People who tried a trial version and like it more then wine Differences if someone care about:

Comes with one-click installation for Windows applications
                  Comes with a graphical installer for Windows applications
                  Comes with Bottles (portable virtual Windows environments)?
                  Seamlessly integrates with your desktop environment
                  Is consistently tested against a supported application set
                  Comes with product support
                  Price

Don't buy a Windows license, don't reboot and don't use a Virtual Machine. Try a free trial of CrossOver to run your Windows software on Mac, Linux and ChromeOS.

Comment

A whole bunch of WINE's core developers are on CodeWeavers's payroll, including Stephan D?singer, the developer of the CSMT work. If you're a regular WINE user, buying a CrossOver license is a good way to support WINE development - even if you continue to use WINE instead. Yes, WINE accepts donations and I'm sure can both use and appreciates them, but paying for your rent and your meals - iow, paying a salary - requires a volume and an organizational structure that the non-profits behind even big FOSS projects usually do not have. Your comment is along the lines of "you'd have to be dumb", but financially supporting work you directly benefit from is a smart thing to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X