Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features GNOME Developers Want In The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Features GNOME Developers Want In The Linux Kernel

Made into a concise list is a number of features that GNOME developers want to see landed within the Linux kernel, in hopes of kernel developers eventually tackling these wish list features that could help not only GNOME but other desktops too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Screen backlight guidelines: is 0 backlight "no backlight"
    My experience is that 0 means backlight off, independent of the LCD being driven or not. It means that with enough sunlight you can still read your text with backlight turned off.
    Not every backlight can be turned off. So 0 defaults to a safe value then.

Comment

Personally, I'd really like to not have my screen switching from black screen to VT two or three times before I finally get to GDM. (Or at least something easier than what we have today)
      This feels unprofessional compared to other OS'es

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
        Personally, I'd really like to not have my screen switching from black screen to VT two or three times before I finally get to GDM. (Or at least something easier than what we have today)
        This feels unprofessional compared to other OS'es
        Yeah, and for Plymouth to actually really work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
          My experience is that 0 means backlight off, independent of the LCD being driven or not. It means that with enough sunlight you can still read your text with backlight turned off.
          Not every backlight can be turned off. So 0 defaults to a safe value then.
          Thats the problem though... This got discussed at XDC (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO7nU3-MGMw ) on some laptops a backlight of 0 means the -display- is totally off, on some it means the -backlight- is totally off, and on some it means that backlight is on but its set the absolute minimum it supports while still being enabled. All depends on the manufacturer of the machine and the age of the machine.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Thats the problem though... This got discussed at XDC (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO7nU3-MGMw ) on some laptops a backlight of 0 means the -display- is totally off, on some it means the -backlight- is totally off, and on some it means that backlight is on but its set the absolute minimum it supports while still being enabled. All depends on the manufacturer of the machine and the age of the machine.
            So how's the kernel going to fix that? I can agree that, if it's a 'respect the API' issue with kernel drivers, they may have a point, but if it's a 'we pass values to ACPI and it does some undocumented magic', there's not much the kernel can do. Now you're into the realm of some userland tool that looks at the hardware and does-the-right-thing.

Or, and forgive me for being so very un GNOME, but you could just have a user setting where the behavior could be specified and tested. I know the arguement "the user shouldn't have to deal with stuff like that" and I agree, but that's not the situation. The situation is that the software simply can't deal with all possible situations and *intentionally limiting the ability of the user to help* is a bad idea. Yes, the user shouldn't have to, but that doesn't justify keeping them from it is they need it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Yeah, and for Plymouth to actually really work.
              plymouth works but the problem is the start of X and VT fighting each other to death, with Wayland/KMS this won't happen and will behave like Os X or windows(not resolution change flipping mess at start)

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Oh forgot sake, this is a problem?
                Add a good specification and be done with it!

Something in the line of the following variables:
                - display backlight strength (0 means it's off, any other number means it's not off, minimum while still being enabled shouldn't be 0)
                - display backlight on/off (0 means it's off, 1 it's on)
                - display on/off
                - has Backlight (Yes/no) (for e-ink displays, gotta cover all cases)
                - holds content without energy (yes/no) (for e-ink or other such displays, needed to know regarding energy efficiency, gotta standardize all the information)
                - is active matrix (yes/no) (needed to know what screen setting is the most energy efficient, gotta standardize this information too)

Comment

And an variable that tells if the screen has burn in problems

- has screen burn in (Yes/no) Default without user added settings or if not provided then it should be yes.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                    Oh forgot sake, this is a problem?
                    Add a good specification and be done with it!

Something in the line of the following variables:
                    - display backlight strength (0 means it's off, any other number means it's not off, minimum while still being enabled shouldn't be 0)
                    - display backlight on/off (0 means it's off, 1 it's on)
                    - display on/off
                    - has Backlight (Yes/no) (for e-ink displays, gotta cover all cases)
                    - holds content without energy (yes/no) (for e-ink or other such displays, needed to know regarding energy efficiency, gotta standardize all the information)
                    - is active matrix (yes/no) (needed to know what screen setting is the most energy efficient, gotta standardize this information too)
                    You seem to have this stuff figured out, I'm sure they'll take your patches on lkml.

Comment

Working...
                    X