Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Now Defaults To Xfce On Non-x86 Desktops

Phoronix: Debian Now Defaults To Xfce On Non-x86 Desktops

Back in September Debian switched back to the GNOME desktop by default in place of Xfce for the upcoming Debian 8.0 "Jessie" release. However, as of today, the non-x86 versions of Debian have flip-flopped once again back to Xfce...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why not MATE? MATE used to be pretty meh, but IMO it's way better than XFCE now. Plus, it's actually essentially the GNOME2 they're going for anyways.

MATE and cinnamon are great DEs.
    Last edited by peppercats; 21 October 2014, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Debian Now Defaults To Xfce On Non-x86 Desktops
      Switch actualy does not matter much, i guess those already know G3 is no go there... according to popcon non-x86 represents around 1.5% userbase .
      Last edited by dungeon; 21 October 2014, 09:32 PM.

Comment

I hope GNOME 3 works with ARM devices with support for OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          Why not MATE? MATE used to be pretty meh, but IMO it's way better than XFCE now. Plus, it's actually essentially the GNOME2 they're going for anyways.

MATE and cinnamon are great DEs.
          Actually xfce is much more configurable than mate... out of the box mate may be easier for people who doesn' t care about customizations but xfce is much better after you set it up the way you need.

Comment

XFCE works pretty well, but by default it looks ugly. Mint guys do a pretty decent job making XFCE look pretty, but they can do that with any UI it seems. Then again I feel as Cinnamon is also behind in looks. Unity/Gnome3 is at the top of best looking UI's, with KDE as second.

Comment

Hopefully they put more resources on improving opengl drivers on non-x86 linux(non-android) devices. And Gnome can reduce the need for certain opengl extension that aren't well supported on non-x86 linux(non-android) drivers.

Comment

They should make it the default DE for all architectures. XFCE is really good, been using it since GNOME 3 has been force fed to everyone.
                GNOME 2 was great but IMO it was quite bloated already back then, which is why I do not use Mate.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  I hope GNOME 3 works with ARM devices with support for OpenGL.
                  There is nothing arch specific in gnome. If you have non crappy drivers it will work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by drago01 View Post
                    There is nothing arch specific in gnome. If you have non crappy drivers it will work just fine.
                    What is your definition of "crappy drivers", those that could not run Gnome 3?

When all other drivers including ARM propertiary ones does not work, where do you think bug is?

This is because Gnome3 requires specific GL rasterizers that are provided:

* in hardware: Nvidia (inc. nouveau), Radeon (free and non-free), Intel
                    drivers, but not eg. Mali proprietary
                    * in software: llvmpipe
                    But even llvmpipe does not work:

In theory, Gnome3 should work with llvmpipe on armhf, but
                    sadly, in practice it doesn't, in any setup I tried.
                    Did you read bug report?

Comment

Working...
                    X