Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Benchmarks Would You Like To See Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Linux Benchmarks Would You Like To See Next?

Phoronix: What Linux Benchmarks Would You Like To See Next?

At Phoronix.com and with the Phoronix Test Suite / OpenBenchmarking.org we're always looking to cater to the interests of more parties and as such are interested to see what other benchmarks you'd like to see incorporated...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd like to see a newer FreeBSD (10.1 without debugging enabled in the kernel) UFS vs (say) Ubuntu (14.10) EXT4 benchmark. Someone mentioned this on IRC few weeks ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWGEh_0kHf0 and it is supposedly a benchmark done by a FreeBSD sysadmin showing very poor comparative UFS performance (skip through, the FS tests are later in the video). What also concerns me is a versus test in creation, deletion and iteration through the filesystem.

Speaking of iteration, I'd like to see newer EXT4 vs XFS benchmarks for the same set of operations: create, update, delete, iterate through.

I don't know if the Phoronix Test Suite is capable of exactly those tests?

Comment

Integrated GFX: 3D and OpenCL

Hi Michael,

I know it depends on the test hardware you do or do not have at hand, but I'd like to see more benchmarks with interated GFX regarding 3D (games) and OpenCL. Especially the latter seems very interesting as you can possibly get decent compute power while only investing $100-200 for a midle class CPU or APU. Also, many notebooks and booksize PCs don't sport dedicated graphics and that way Linux users of such devices get little information how theyr system could benefit from newer driver developments. For example, I always miss iGPUs when I look at those comparisons between Catalyst and newest Radeon drivers.

Comment

Debian GNU/kFreeBSD in sid please

KMS graphics should be now working with Intel i915, or Radeon with firmware-linux-nonfree, or some NVidia cards.

Partitioning with separate / and /home should give faster disk i/o due to the latter enabling soft-updates+journal.
        Last edited by stevenc; 23 October 2014, 07:19 AM.

Comment

AMD APUs vs. discrete graphics

Is there already a comparison of AMD APU graphics against low and mid range discrete graphics cards (using the APU as the processor ofc)? I'd like to know if it would be sensible to replace my Core 2 Duo + Radeon HD 6670 with a modern APU (also one could argue that I should go Intel Pentium / Intel i3 + Radeon HD 6670 route and may be right). I doubt Dual Graphics is possible on Linux but that would certainly be interesting. I'm currently using radeon driver but I could switch to Catalyst if it gives me added value.

Comment

I'm more interested in cpu/disk intensive operations, power consumption vs windows, and would appreciate an update to the I/O scheduling benchmarks (possibly including bfq).

Comment

OpenGL on XWayland vs OpenGL on XMir, please

Comment

Power Consumption is getting more and more important our days while electricity rates are climbing.

I would love to see linux benchmarks about power consumption, comparison of apu's and all other cpu's at idle and max and mediocre load.
                Such comparisons are very rare on the internet, especially if you use Linux.

Do you think it is possible to get a comparison benchmark about power consumption of all the apu graphics ?
                Which apu consumes more power if the graphics part is on heavy load ?

I would really love such comparisons.

Thank you for this forum thread Micheal.

Cokai

Comment

Wayland

Hi,

I'd like to see native Wayland (http://www.maui-project.org/) vs. KDE, Unity, Gnome, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
                    Is there already a comparison of AMD APU graphics against low and mid range discrete graphics cards (using the APU as the processor ofc)? I'd like to know if it would be sensible to replace my Core 2 Duo + Radeon HD 6670 with a modern APU (also one could argue that I should go Intel Pentium / Intel i3 + Radeon HD 6670 route and may be right). I doubt Dual Graphics is possible on Linux but that would certainly be interesting. I'm currently using radeon driver but I could switch to Catalyst if it gives me added value.
                    If you wanna APU like A10-7800, you don't need HD 6670 card that should perform quite similar or might be slightly faster, but only if we talking about DDR3 model but not GDDR5 .

What Core 2 Duo is that? Even low power Athlon 5150 APU have same multithreaded performance like Core2 Duo E8400, but not singlethreaded .

So if i guess you have Core2 Duo E8400 and Radeon HD 6670 DDR3 then A10-7800 APU in CPU part is much better at everything, but not at GPU part there is quite similar

Comment

Working...
                    X