Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RunAbove: A POWER8 Compute Cloud With Offerings Up To 176 Threads

Phoronix: RunAbove: A POWER8 Compute Cloud With Offerings Up To 176 Threads

RunAbove has launched the first major public cloud built around IBM's latest-generation Power 8 processors that when properly implemented can deliver up to 100 times the power of a classic x86 setup, according to the company. I've been running benchmarks in RunAbove's Power8 cloud the past few days and have been impressed, both with the performance and as my first time using the RunAbove cloud service.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Advertising and results

Sorry, but this articles looks like pure advertising, is that is so amazing where are results to prove this 100 time bigger performance than x86 machines??

Comment

I would like to see the CPU scaling i.e. 8 vs 176 cores and a comparison to the Amazon EC2 instances.

Comment

Based on preliminary benchmarks, I am OK with Power8 desktop/server, as long as it costs under $1000. I am afraid this will NOT be the case by several zeroes.

Comment

Originally posted by mirza View Post
          Based on preliminary benchmarks, I am OK with Power8 desktop/server, as long as it costs under $1000. I am afraid this will NOT be the case by several zeroes.
          $2700 for special promotion right now: http://www.tyan.com/campaign/openpower/

Comment

pretty sad from the article

I worked at OVH during more than one year and a half, and read your posts from a long time ago. Enjoying it lots.

But this one choked me as ruan stated, it's completely advertisement without real comparaison to other infrastructure.
            I'm moved to Online.net (the concurrent of OVH+), and I'm pretty sad you're doing some post and benchmark of this sort of cloud, and not the #armcloud of Online labs...

Hope to see one soon, and thank you anyway for all the others posts

Comment

Originally posted by aRkadeFR View Post
              I worked at OVH during more than one year and a half, and read your posts from a long time ago. Enjoying it lots.

But this one choked me as ruan stated, it's completely advertisement without real comparaison to other infrastructure.
              I'm moved to Online.net (the concurrent of OVH+), and I'm pretty sad you're doing some post and benchmark of this sort of cloud, and not the #armcloud of Online labs...

Hope to see one soon, and thank you anyway for all the others posts
              It's not an advertisement. There's no other comparison to other infrastructure since I've only had access to this cloud for a short time, I don't have any other PowerPC hardware to do a direct comparison, etc. So on the last page there's a few EC2 results as the closest comparison reaully suitable.

I'd be happy to benchmark the Online.net ARM cloud... are you able to get me access to the systems? Generally that's when I engage in benchmarking new clouds is when I'm able to get credits/access to the systems.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                It's not an advertisement. There's no other comparison to other infrastructure since I've only had access to this cloud for a short time, I don't have any other PowerPC hardware to do a direct comparison, etc. So on the last page there's a few EC2 results as the closest comparison reaully suitable.

I'd be happy to benchmark the Online.net ARM cloud... are you able to get me access to the systems? Generally that's when I engage in benchmarking new clouds is when I'm able to get credits/access to the systems.
                Yep, I have couple of invitation left. You can send me an email with your email, first name, last name.

I would be really happy to see your post about our cloud, and share your experience with my colleague for a better feedback.

If you're not aware of the project at all, it's on public beta, completely free. And it's only ARM instances that are totally dedicated It's a two year project but still very young, so we are eager to read your feedback and improve the platform.

Waiting for your email

Comment

Originally posted by aRkadeFR View Post
                  Yep, I have couple of invitation left. You can send me an email with your email, first name, last name.

I would be really happy to see your post about our cloud, and share your experience with my colleague for a better feedback.

If you're not aware of the project at all, it's on public beta, completely free. And it's only ARM instances that are totally dedicated It's a two year project but still very young, so we are eager to read your feedback and improve the platform.

Waiting for your email
                  Michael at Phoronix .com. You can easily find my first/last name on almost every page of the site.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

My colleagues told me they already sent you some invitations.
                    Don't hesitate to come and talk to us if you have any questions.

I sent you an email so you have mine too.

Have a good day

Comment

Working...
                    X