Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8.1 vs. Ubuntu 14.10 With Intel HD Graphics

Phoronix: Windows 8.1 vs. Ubuntu 14.10 With Intel HD Graphics

For those curious how the latest open-source Intel Linux graphics driver is performing against Intel's newest closed-source Windows OpenGL driver, we've put Ubuntu 14.10 (including a second run with the latest Linux kernel / Mesa) against Microsoft Windows 8.1 with the newest Intel GPU driver released earlier this month.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Probably known Xonotic audio weirdness on Linux ... Micheal, can you recheck Xonotic with sound driver disabled, booting kernel with following should be enough i guess:

snd_hda_intel.enable=0

Comment

Way to go Intel!

Comment

The last test which shows 20x times improvement, damn, how great, but also how irrelevant and nobody knows what exactly made it work much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          The last test which shows 20x times improvement, damn, how great, but also how irrelevant and nobody knows what exactly made it work much faster.
          At first that could be bug in one of both cases , people should better recheck those to be sure

Comment

Most windows users use windows 7, so that's what should be used in the benchmarks as well.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              Most windows users use windows 7, so that's what should be used in the benchmarks as well.
              How you can buy that now? Even preinstalled variant will end up tommorow And in less then 3 months there will be no more free updates for Big Seven

Answers to frequently asked questions about the lifecycle policy for Windows products.

Hm oh my... 6 months after end up everything for XP, it is still used by 23.87% people , i think those people need to buy a brain

Comment

Wayland will improve the situation a lot. Very often, its Xorg protocol overhead limiting performance. windows has wayland-like bitmap/surface-based dwm since vista.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  How you can buy that now? Even preinstalled variant will end up tommorow And in less then 3 months there will be no more free updates for Big Seven

Answers to frequently asked questions about the lifecycle policy for Windows products.

Hm oh my... 6 months after end up everything for XP, it is still used by 23.87% people , i think those people need to buy a brain
                  No. They run some outdated software and dont care for the fuzz, till it runs. This is like saying debian stable need to buy brain. Well,.. somehow you are right.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                    No. They run some outdated software and dont care for the fuzz, till it runs. This is like saying debian stable need to buy brain. Well,.. somehow you are right.
                    I understand extended peroid for some minority of people that is OK, but those numbers are ROFLMAO... That is not like Debian Stable, that is not like even Debian old-Stable, but something out of any support for 6 months and 1/4 people on this crazy planet still use it .
                    Last edited by dungeon; 30 October 2014, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X