Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD Turns Twenty-One Years Old

Phoronix: FreeBSD Turns Twenty-One Years Old

Today marks twenty-one years since the release of FreeBSD 1.0, the first production-ready release of this BSD operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: FreeBSD Turns Twenty-One Years Old

Today marks twenty-one years since the release of FreeBSD 1.0, the first production-ready release of this BSD operating system...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgyODM
    Awesome! FreeBSD, the OS that has been dying/dead for 21 years. Keep on dying FreeBSD!

Comment

@nslay

The PS4 runs FreeBSD. In a year, the PS4 sold 13.5 million devices. Not exactly Android numbers (which runs an incompatible fork of mainline Linux) but 13.5 million sales can't be a bad thing. Also, endman tells us about FreeBSD's lofty goals all the time. Sure, FreeBSD doesn't move at the pace endman would like but having a goal and moving towards is progress.

Comment

Originally posted by nslay View Post
        Awesome! FreeBSD, the OS that has been dying/dead for 21 years. Keep on dying FreeBSD!
        We all start "dying" the day we are born. A nice reminder that FreeBSD is, of course, older than linux.

Congratulations to the FreeBSD guys! It is a very cool OS that has been very influential: Apple's MacOS X, the Playstation 4 and a bunch of places we will never know about.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
          @nslay

The PS4 runs FreeBSD. In a year, the PS4 sold 13.5 million devices. Not exactly Android numbers (which runs an incompatible fork of mainline Linux) but 13.5 million sales can't be a bad thing. Also, endman tells us about FreeBSD's lofty goals all the time. Sure, FreeBSD doesn't move at the pace endman would like but having a goal and moving towards is progress.
          I hope you realize that I'm knocking on the ancient trolling post "Netcraft confirms *BSD is dying."

Find the original troll post here:
          The BSD is dying troll is now a classic. Every time an article is posted on slashdot about BSD, hordes of trolls inevitably post the text of BSD is dyin...

EDIT:
          By the way, look at the date: 2002

This is a very ancient trolling post. 12 years later, *BSD is still here and kicking.

Comment

Originally posted by nslay View Post
            I hope you realize that I'm knocking on the ancient trolling post "Netcraft confirms *BSD is dying."

The BSD is dying troll is now a classic. Every time an article is posted on slashdot about BSD, hordes of trolls inevitably post the text of BSD is dyin...
            And thus 'endman', 'kraftman', 'Pawlerson', 'BSDSucksDicks', LinuxAnalsBSD', 'jake_lesser', etc, etc, was born... HILARIOUS!

Comment

The BSDs free us from systemd

I was a FreeBSD user about 10 years ago, for about a year. I liked it, but eventually returned to Linux because that seemed to be where the action was, at least for desktop systems. FreeBSD though was always fine as a server.

Now that systemd is being systematically shoved down the throats of Linux users, I've decided to take a new look at FreeBSD (and it's offshoot, PC-BSD). Release 10.1 is imminent, probably by mid-November. Looks like an excellent time to give it a test.

Comment

Happy birthday to FreeBSD, mine will be coming up in just 32 days. I didn't actually know I had such a close date for my birthday to the FreeBSD project, so I learned something new today!

Comment

Nothing to be proud of

21 years of mediocre crap
                  21 years of crappy usability
                  21 years of appalling design
                  21 years of record beating failed project management
                  21 years of fueling proprietary software
                  21 years of making possible the enslavement of billions of innocent people through Apple and M$
                  21 years of making trolling
                  21 years of hurting Linux
                  21 years of hidden atrocities

There is nothing to celebrate and nothing to be proud of. Shame on you BSD.

Originally posted by nslay

EDIT:
                  By the way, look at the date: 2002

This is a very ancient trolling post. 12 years later, *BSD is still here and kicking.
                  it's true that predictions of BSD's end was historically too early but we can't ignore the fact that all BSDs have been slowing by steadily losing ground since the dot-com crash in 2001. BSD is system performance and graphics have been falling further and further behind Linux. USB was a huge PR disaster for BSD. Today BSD can barely support KMS which has solid Linux support for several years now. New and important features such as Wayland, GPU programming, advance security etc. are still totally absent from BSD while it's solidly supported on Linux. And now look at the BSD presentations at XDC2014, all the BSDs there had to admit that they lack manpower and even the capability to make proper decisions to get involved with current technologies.

Watch these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POmxFleN3Bc (Xorg on FreeBSD)
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KopgD4nTtnA (Xorg on OpenBSD)
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdM7_yPGFDk (Xorg on DragonflyBSD)

Nothing but embarrassment, regrets, fear of systemd and admission to failure. OpenBSD admit that they don't event have full KMS support for both Intel and Radeon and then they can't implement it due to them sticking to GCC 4.2. DragonflyBSD admits that they have to copy Linus driver interfaces because they cannot port any drivers. I can imagine how XDC2019 will be like (BSD people: We have failed.)

BSD IS DECLINING there is not doubt about that.

Originally posted by nslay
                  Before the dot-com bust of 2001, FreeBSD actually have 40% of the server usage share while Linux had 60%. This relatively heavy usage of BSD was responsive for the dot-com bust in 2001 as BSD couldn't handle the y2k problem and people realized that BSD derived code was way over valued for all it's worth. After then people learn and Linux dominated while BSD server usage share steadily shrink below 1%.

Originally posted by Sergio
                  And thus 'endman', 'kraftman', 'Pawlerson', 'BSDSucksDicks', LinuxAnalsBSD', 'jake_lesser', etc, etc, was born... HILARIOUS!
                  It's hilarious that all BSD fanboys are accusing all anti-BSD intellectuals as one person just to fun from the fact that a lot of people hate BSD.

Originally posted by Candide
                  I was a FreeBSD user about 10 years ago, for about a year. I liked it, but eventually returned to Linux because that seemed to be where the action was, at least for desktop systems. FreeBSD though was always fine as a server.

Now that systemd is being systematically shoved down the throats of Linux users, I've decided to take a new look at FreeBSD (and it's offshoot, PC-BSD). Release 10.1 is imminent, probably by mid-November. Looks like an excellent time to give it a test.
                  Yet you still haven't returned to it. Says a lot. If you have really evaluated PC-BSD properly, you would have concluded that PC-BSD is further from the desktop that it was in 2006. It's slower, more bloated, works on less hardware then even FreeBSD, uses a RAM consuming file system called ZFS, no games (contrary to myth, Minecraft cannot run on PC-BSD or for that matter, any BSD).

The BSDs free us from systemd
                  That's the reason not to use BSD either as a Desktop, server or embedded. Systemd's design and layout takes in to account the modern requirements of computing and frees Linux from dogmatic UNIX philosophy that have for so long impeded FLOSS advancement. The UNIX philosophy and UNIX itself originated from the proprietary world from AT&T. It is a proprietary concept based on dogma that was never adequate even for it's time and the honorable Lenard Peottering is saving us from that.

That's not to say BSD follows the UNIX philosophy. BSD has been renowned for drifting so far from standards that it's so difficult to maintain the BSD ports of X11 and other DEs and now BSD devs are paying the price in which they can't port over graphics, wifi and peripheral drivers. Tell me, why is it that BSD has no free driver for BCM4313 and Nvidia even though bcm43xx and Nouveau are BSD licensed? And why is Wayland not in BSD what it is BSD licensed?

Credit is due where it is due. BSD can't escape this.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
                    Bullshit after bullshit...
                    21 and counting, BITCH!

Comment

Working...
                    X