Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Gallium3D Nine (D3D9) Patches Published

Phoronix: Latest Gallium3D Nine (D3D9) Patches Published

Open-source developers have been working on pushing the Direct3D 9 state tracker into mainline Mesa that would allow patched copies of Wine to natively use this D3D9 support for speeding up the process of running various Windows games on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news, it will speed up development process by a lot when it will be so much easier to use (than installing patched Mesa which for many people is kinda annoying or even impossible ).

Comment

This is one of those things Linux needs to get more people to be comfortable to make the switch. As nice as Wine is (it really isn't) we needed something like this until most developers are making it a habit to create native Linux applications.

We really need Intel drivers to get this. It's nice that AMD users can enjoy this feature and we know nouveau will get it, I mean one of their developers created Gallium Nine to begin with. Also Wine developers should just include Gallium Nine support. Mesa has no problem with including it, so why not Wine?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Mesa has no problem with including it, so why not Wine?
        I would not be suprised if Crossover gets default support for this and Wine not. For example CSMT patches are in Crossover for some time now, yet not in Wine. After all Crossover has to have some features Wine lacks, otherwise no one would buy it (and just use PlayonLinux for bottle management).

Comment

Alpha blending missing support error at some games. Very critical. Very simple to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
            Alpha blending missing support error at some games. Very critical. Very simple to fix.
            Do you really get issues with that ?

I've not seen any problem with that, perhaps it is fixed now ?

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
              Do you really get issues with that ?

I've not seen any problem with that, perhaps it is fixed now ?

Call of Duty 2 and 4 with the latest PPA yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                Call of Duty 2 and 4 with the latest PPA yesterday.
                It seems the game require the device cap D3DCAPS3_ALPHA_FULLSCREEN_FLIP_OR_DISCARD.

What does mean exactly the cap is not very clear. When we understand what it is really about, we will enable it. Note that the flag is added in non-debug build to make Cod4 launch.

Comment

We really need Intel drivers to get this.
                  There is an Intel gallium driver, it is just not sponsored / supported by Intel.

It is their choice to continue using their own driver stack backend to Mesa. But that means they cannot benefit from Gallium state trackers or functionality. There is nothing we can do to force them to refactor their driver into a Gallium one, and they could probably take the Gallium d3d code and port it to their internals with some work.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
                    It seems the game require the device cap D3DCAPS3_ALPHA_FULLSCREEN_FLIP_OR_DISCARD.

What does mean exactly the cap is not very clear. When we understand what it is really about, we will enable it. Note that the flag is added in non-debug build to make Cod4 launch.

Cool, Nine is going fast as i see and we are thankful to all people involved. I wander how useful you find the code of the OGL Gallium state tracker, is it helpful as base for Nine?

Comment

Working...
                    X