Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Information On The KDE Dynamic Window Decoration Plans

Phoronix: More Information On The KDE Dynamic Window Decoration Plans

Published last month were the plans by KDE developers to create Dynamic Window Decorations (DWD) as a hybrid between client-side and server-side decorations. Here's more information on this concept for improving window decorations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This sounds like a good idea! I hope GNOME and other desktops will adopts this, as soon as the protocol is fixed.

Only one point makes me wonder, if this is going to be network transparent? According to the current plan DBUS is going to be used, thus remote applications won't be able to modify the window border.
    Last edited by oleid; 03 November 2014, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      This sounds like a good idea! I hope GNOME and other desktops will adopts this, as soon as the protocol is fixed.
      Unlikely. While the KDE ideas are kind of cool, they don't really offer any compelling reason for other people to expend a massive effort in rewriting code, given that the Gnome devs have spent the past few years doing the same kind of UI with client-side decorations.

Comment

F that. Server side only, if application devs don't like it they can choke on it.

Comment

No, please for the love of god!

I hope not every ass hat developer are going to "leverage a unique brand experience" resulting in a fragmented, confusing, incoherent, unpredictable system where every application looks, behaves and feels different.

That said, it kinda would be kinda nice of Firefox and Chrome had tabs in the title bar like on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
            Unlikely. While the KDE ideas are kind of cool, they don't really offer any compelling reason for other people to expend a massive effort in rewriting code, given that the Gnome devs have spent the past few years doing the same kind of UI with client-side decorations.
            Oh jeah. That godawful gtk3 decorations that look nothing like the rest of the system. Thanks Gnome.

Comment

Playback controls embedded in the title bar! Makes me think of GtkHeaderBar in GTK 3.10 and later. Very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
                F that. Server side only, if application devs don't like it they can choke on it.
                If you'd read the article, you would have know that this is a server-sided alternative for CSD. This gives applications opportunity to access elements they wouldn't have been able to otherwise, but it's still up to the WM to draw everything. This way everything will render using strict boundaries, thus resulting in a consistent desktop experience.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I hope not every ass hat developer are going to "leverage a unique brand experience" resulting in a fragmented, confusing, incoherent, unpredictable system where every application looks, behaves and feels different.

That said, it kinda would be kinda nice of Firefox and Chrome had tabs in the title bar like on Windows.
                  True, it would be pretty fragmented. Also if you shrink the window too much, there wouldn't be much room to drag it around.

Also, chrome has tabs in the title bar. Right-click on the tab bar and there's a checkbox that says something like "use system window manager", which you can un-check and it behaves like it does in windows. I'm not sure about firefox - when I use that, I use vertical tabs.

I think windows just need more tools that are irrelevant to the application. For example, maybe a button that shifts the window to the next workspace.

Comment

I asked this on the last thread...

How does Windows 7/8 do this? Obviously they do something right? It allows for some pretty complex/advanced stuff (Firefox/Chrome?) but also makes most applications look like they "fit in".
                    I couldn't give a shit about any media players or file managers, all I want out of CSD/DWD is Firefox/Chrome _native_ tabs in the titlebar. Chrome does it, but it hacks it's way to that.

Comment

Working...
                    X